We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

Hi, TA group,

I posted this in a things-to-see-in-Berlin thread, but I have a specific question: Which neighborhood should I stay in? This is my first trip to Germany and I'll stay a week to 10 days only in Berlin.

I've looked at urban-apartments and airbnb and I want to narrow the neighborhood to only one. Which do you think is the best neighborhood/base for a 50's single woman into contemporary art, cafes, galleries, museums, boutiques, easy public transport nearby but NOT too near pubs, nightclubs, predominately young families and mostly 20's-30's aged people around?

I think probably staying in Mitte or Charlottenburg sounds best for me. It seems that Prenzlauerburg is geared toward much younger travelers than I.

I may be getting on a flight tomorrow with virtually no plan...yikes! Thank you all so very much for your guidance and suggestions.

Happy travels,

Lana

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Mitte
Mitte
1,507 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

I am self-employed so I have the luxury of more fluid time. Ordinarily, I avoid traveling in August to almost anywhere. All the great talk about Berlin tickled my travel impulsivity and I was trying to force a trip that should have waited. If I can peel myself away from spending part of September in Italy, I will go to Berlin. So long as I avoid Oktoberfest and tons of families on holiday, I'm good!

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Italy
Italy
Europe
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,120 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

You will not find Oktoberfest in Berlin,unless you go looking for somewhere trying to do it! Can't you combine Italy and Berlin it is only an hour or so flight.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Italy
Italy
Europe
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

"Can't you combine Italy and Berlin it is only an hour or so flight."

Bongoblog,

Very glad to hear that Oktoberfest is more limited to Munich or places other than Berlin. That's most definitely not my pleasure.

I have such a bad case of Italy-fever. I was there for 7 weeks recently, home in July. I have to be careful of the Schengen 90 in-90 out restriction. Once I'm even to close to the Italian border, my addiction takes over and I hop a flight back there from wherever I am. I did that in Amsterdam in freezing April, 2012, and spent less than a week exploring The Netherlands. So I'm trying to make this a dedicated Berlin trip. I tend to stay in each place for a while to get to know it's "soul" and quirks and if I get Italy in my mind as an easy option out, I'll probably leave Berlin too quickly!

Edited: 12:54 pm, August 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Oktoberfest
Oktoberfest
976 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
April
April
218 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

And Oktoberfest is in September :) Is the Festival of Lights still on in October? I remember being in Berlin one October when it was on, and it was great. So many buildings lit up.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,120 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

Darren, it seems it starts in Oct. so both Lana and I will miss it

26. Re: Mitte or Charlottenburg or another base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 31, 2014