We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips by train

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips by train

We are looking for a couple of day trips by train from Berlin during a stay in August. Is Wittenberg worth a visit -- we know about the Luther connection but what about the town as a whole. And if we want a flavour of Poland (where we've never been) is Slubice or somewhere else just over the border to be recommended.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips by train

Hi,

first of all you could go to Potsdam, the capital of Brandenburg which is pretty close to Berlin and really worth a visit. And then of course Weimar, the city of Goethe and Schiller and is not too far away either. With ICE you also reach Hamburg and Hanover within 90 minutes. I have never been to Poland, though...

;-)

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips by train

I can't help with Poland as I've never been there either. Neither have I been to Wittenberg.

Anyway, nice daytrips are for example the Spreewald (www.spreewald.de - I think), Mecklenburgische Seenplatte (an area with heaps of lakes). If you take an early train you could also go to Warnemünde on the Baltic coast.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
73 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips by train

Poland:

the cities just behind the border at Frankfurt/Oder for example are more famous for cheap cigarettes and haircuts for 5 euro than they are for their architectual beauty.

Stettin (at the baltic) has a lovely old part.

if an overnight trip is an option go to Prague by train in the morning.

takes about 4 and a half hours thru the elbe valley also passing Dresden.stay overnight and come back the following afternoon.

Prague is the most amazing city.

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips by train

You should be able to do some good day trips with the Brandenburg Ticket - 23 euros for up to 5 people for the day.It also covers places just outside the Brandenburg Region such as Stettin and Lutherstadt Wittenberge.The latter has the Luther connection, not the other Wittenberg. Forget Slubice - it's dreadful. Other places to visit could include the shiplift at Niederfinow, the Mildenburg brickwork museum and the Spreewald. The ticket is valid after 0900 Mon- Fri on any Regional Express or local train and any time Sats or Suns.It's available from machines at all S/U/ main line stations and is valid for connections by S or U Bahn and also for many rural bus services.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips by train

If you head towards Stettin there is even no "only past 9am" rule on weekdays with the Brandenburg-Ticket. Quite useful this exception, as it's quite some distance to Stettin. The Brandenburg-Ticket covers also all local public transport (trams, buses) in Stettin, like e.g. with Potsdam or Berlin.

Here a leaflet (in German)

bahn.de/regional/…MDB23598-streif_polen.pdf

Has also the timetable of the train "Stettiner Haff" to Stettin, which provides the best connection.