We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

Read several articles that said for best price for international air...wait until 2 months prior to book. As mid August is nearing it seems to be fluctuating daily. Have you found this to be good advice or should one book ASAP?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

That's high season, most schools in Europe will still be in vacation. I would find it unlikely that the price will go down; with the advent of low-cost carriers and yield management, the days of bargain last-minute tickets are all but over.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

Nobody can tell you that exactly because airlines sometimes offer cheap offers on short notice. But that rarely happens during the high season of August though....

I would book ASAP, I don't think it's gonna get any cheaper...only more expensive.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

Agree with the 2 previous posts... I bought mine from LAX to TXL for $USD800 on United! But this was back in October 2012, I check prices all the time, sometimes for no other reason than to see what "deals" are out there. I knew it was a great price and jumped on it...

Having to ask my boss for my vacation dates 10 months before was funny, he probably thought I was crazy!

Back in the day ( not that long ago actually) in 2008, I got to go to Ireland on Delta for $USD 384! Believe it or not! This was a last minute price in March 2008.

Those days are pretty much over. Definitely buy now!

Mentioned in this post
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Hotel Delta
Hotel Delta
314 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

I have always wondered where that " book two monts out" advice comes from. I have never seen that to be true for the flights we like from Seattle to Europe. Prices have always gone steadily up. This year, I decided to keep track and checknseveralmtimes a week, starting last December, for flights to London in July. It is now " two month out" and the RT fare on British Airways is $250 higher than it was in December. It stayed at the same level ( around $1750-$1800) furlough March, and then started to climb. I will keep following to see if it drops as we get closer to the date, but somehow I doubt it will.

From San Francisco, you have several good options for flights. You might also check Air Berlin out of LAX; our daughter got a very good fare there for travel this summer.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
London
London
England, UK
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

From personal experience, I really think you should book ASAP.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

Booking ASAP, thanks for all the input! :-)

Then onto apartment hunting.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

Use your miles if you have any, American airline is partner with Air Berlin, and United is partner with Lufthansa.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Boston...
Level Contributor
161 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

We booked our flight from Chicago to Berlin almost 6 months in advance. Booked in January for a May 2013 flight. Glad I did because the price kept going up and up. I never did understand either why the advice is to buy 2 months out.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,610 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

> I never did understand either why the advice is to buy 2 months out.<

It may be because people assume that as the departure date nears, any unsold seats will get sold off cheaper. That does not seem to be the case, either with the international airlines or with the European airlines I'm more familiar with.

If you are going to be in Berlin in mid-August, it's also time to book an apartment. I can recommend Urban Apartments Berlin, with whom I've had completely satisfactory dealings over the last couple of years. They are small and local, and have a good selection in all the central areas.

http://www.urban-apartments.com/berlin/

Edited: 2:09 am, June 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Boston...
Level Contributor
161 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices of Flights August. Sfo-Berlin Will they get cheaper

I agree also Alabastron with your recommendation of Urban Apartments. We had a wonderful stay in May in an Apartment we rented through the company.