We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

We have the first 2 weeks in July to do Amsterdam, Prague and Berlin and anywhere fabulous in between. i haven't been in...gulp..twenty years and never to Berlin! My husband and I love culture, museums, art and arch, restaurants and biking. We can either land in Berlin or in Amsterdam. I am JUST starting to research now and would appreciate any help to come up with a dream itinerary! (I was thinking 8 days Berlin and 4 days each Amsterdam and Prague and travel by train)

Edited: 11:53 pm, May 08, 2013
Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
585 Reviews
from $37.90*
All-in-One Berlin Shore Excursion...
10 Reviews
from $118.30*
Best Seller
Berlin Mitte Walking Tour: Wall...
1,804 Reviews
from $16.60*
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

It seems you already have your itinerary done, as you selected those three cities. Just read online and/or in guidebooks for yourself what is of your interest in each of them and decide accordingly how many days you want to stay in each city. We cannot tell you that.

UK
Level Contributor
8,949 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

If you want to travel by train, and your choice of flight is either Amsterdam or Berlin, then I think landing in Amsterdam would make more sense - as your train travel would then all be in the same direction, with no backtracking. There are direct trains from Amsterdam to Berlin and from Berlin to Prague, so train travel would be fairly easy. If you don't want to take a train all the way back from Prague to Amsterdam you could always book a one-way flight - don't know if KLM or Czech Airlines do affordable one-way flights (possibly not), but Easyjet definitely do, and they're quite a good airline to fly with.

As for places along the route... Dresden would be an obvious choice (and it's on the trainline from Berlin to Prague, so wouldn't involve any detours). While there is plenty to do in Berlin to keep you occupied for eight days you could probably lose a couple of days and spend those days in Dresden instead.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

Thanks - yes I will start reading the guidebooks, forum postings today. And we will fly into Amsterdam and out of Berlin. I hadn't thought of Dresden, but I will look today to see what its all about!

Re: Berlin - which are the best neighbourhoods to stay in? (eg most central) I hope to rent a flat through AirBnb - price is not an issue.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

As it's your first time in the city you'll want to be fairly central. The area around Hackescher Markt and up towards Rosenthaler Platz/Kastanienallee is good - it's central, has lots of bars, restaurants and shops, and is walking distance to many key sights. You may also want to consider the southern part of Prenzlauer Berg, which is up-and-coming (up and come?), popular with young families and has a really nice "neighbourhood" feel about it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

I agree with Darren's advice on location, which will put you near several of the main museums, particularly the five Museum Island museums, and other sights and sites. Hackescher Markt is particularly close - short walking distance, but Rosenthaler Platz and nearby Prenzlauerberg are almost equally convenient, and there are trams that will get you there in a couple of minutes.

Airbnb should have some apartments in these areas; so should Urban Apartments Berlin. But you had better get a move on and book as soon as you've found something you like the sound of: July is the height of the tourist season, and I suspect you'll find that there is already a limited choice.

I think your 8-4-4 time-split is just about right. Berlin needs more time than either Amsterdam or Prague. It's a much bigger city, more diverse culturally and historically, than either, and there is much more to see and do. Once you've done your research and have a better idea of what **you** want to see and do, come back here with more specific questions for advice tailored to your requirements.

Edited: 5:01 pm, May 09, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

I know its my job to do the research and then ask more specific questions...and I shall, but thank you SO MUCH to all who have responded so far!!! Good motivation for me to spend a day planning!!

Grimsby, England...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

I've just come back from Berlin, wonderful city. Here are some pointers.

Most shops are closed on Thursdays.

The Metro is quick and efficient. 6.50 Euro for a day pass. http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/

If you like biking, great, they have lots of cycle paths and biking is very popular. The roads are fairly quiet (unlike London)

The bust of Nefettiti is in the Neues museum. She has a room all to herself.Its a must see.

Brandenburg gate is great during the day and night, when its lit up.

The annual open air gallery is on the 7th July for art lovers. Lucky you....!!!!. It is meant to be a big event in Berlin

berlin.de/en/events/2511842-2842498-open-air…

I found the food expensive.

Any more questions just ask.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,569 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

Thursday 9th May 2013 was a public holiday.

Grimsby, England...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

Just my luck. I went for a day trip, and everywhere was closed.

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague...2 week itinerary

My husband and I will be going to Brussels mainly to visit family, my husband also has a meeting to attend. We have about a 2to 3 day window where we can sneak away. We are going in November, so I know it will be cold. We are trying to decide where to go within reasonable distance from Brussels. So far Amsterdam, Prague, or Berlin have come to mind. Which one would be better. Or are there other cities which would be more interesting?