We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potsdam

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Potsdam

Hello. There is little information about Potsdam on the internet, so I have some questions to ask:

I planned to go to Potsdam for a day. Is it enough?

Are all the attractions or slights around the Sanssouci Park?If not, are there any other places worth to go?

How do I get to the area around Sanssouci Park from Potsdam Hbf station? I know there are buses which can take me there but I am not sure about the number and location.

THANKS A LOT :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,560 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Potsdam

There is little information about Potsdam on the internet? I beg your pardon?

http://www.potsdam-tourism.com/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potsdam

Yes it's worth it and yes you can easily do it in a day. If you want to go to Sanssouci, get there early as visitor numbers are strictly limited. it's an easy walk from Potsdam Hauptbahnhof, or there is a train station at the park which has 2 trains an hour. Check times at www.bahn.de

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Potsdam

Re: BlandineForberg

My bad :(

but the website does not help me a lot as I cannot download detailed information on that website

Re:darrenmcc

I would not need to buy any tickets in Potsdam if I had the VBB 7days pass (ZoneABC) and the Berlin City Tour Card, would I?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potsdam

Yes, you would have to buy tickets to Schloss Sanssouci and to the other palaces and buildings that you want to visit. The City Tour Card may offer discounts: check, but if it does it's unlikely to be more than 25%.

(I suggested on one of your other threads that you also investigate the discounts offered by the Welcome Card.)

To have a reasonable chance of getting into Sanssouci you should arrive before opening time: 9 am. Tickets for the (hourly) tours for the whole day go on sale then, and only 40 people can join a tour. As Sanssouci is one of Berlin's major tourist destinations, if not THE major one, it is popular at all times of the year.

From Potsdam Hauptbahnhof, do *not* take the bus to the stop called Sanssouci: this will leave you at the back of the palace, utterly anticlimactically. Take the bus (I think it's 692) to Luisenplatz. Go through the golden main gates into the park, and walk straight on: in about 5 minutes you will approach Sanssouci as it should be approached: from the bottom of the wonderful staircase that leads up to it.

Whether you can see everything you want to see in a day really depends on what you want to see. Apart from Sanssouci, there are several other palaces and buildings of interest (the Bildgalerie, the Neuen Kammer, the Chinese House, etc - see the website and/or any of the Berlin guide books) and the park itself is huge. You could easily spend the entire day in the park without seeing everything. If you want to see Potsdam as well - and it is a sizeable city with a great deal to see - you would need another day. But it's perfectly possible to see Schloss Sanssouci and perhaps one or two of the other buildings in the park, and have a stroll around the park in the morning, and some of Potsdam city in the afternoon, and that's what most people would do on a short visit to Berlin.

Edited: 5:35 pm, March 22, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potsdam

A Berlin ABC travel pass is valid on all public transport in the city of Potsdam.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Potsdam

Re: Alabastron

Thanks a lot. That is a very detailed explanation

Is it worth to go inside of Sanssouci ?

Do I need to buy any ticket if I just walk outside of different palaces and buildings?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potsdam

>Is it worth to go inside of Sanssouci ?<

Sanssouci is Frederick the Great's beautiful rococo summer palace, lovely inside as well as outside. I think it's worth visiting, and since, as I said, it is one of Berlin's main tourist destinations, others obviously do too. Why don't you read up about it and see if you think *you* would like it?

>Do I need to buy any ticket if I just walk outside of different palaces and buildings?<

No, entry to the park is free. If you don't go into any of the buildings, one day in Potsdam is certainly enough. But you would have time in your one day to do the tour of Sanssouci.

And from your previous post:

>I would not need to buy any tickets in Potsdam if I had the VBB 7days pass (ZoneABC) and the Berlin City Tour Card, would I?<

I'm sorry: I misunderstood this. You meant transport. No, as Darren says, your ABC ticket is valid on all Potsdam transport.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potsdam

All the attractions in Potsdam aren't in Sanssouci park by any means. The Old Town is pretty and has a section called the "Dutch Quarter" because the houses are Dutch-style (built for immigrants from Holland). There is also a Russian Colony with wooden houses, Alexandrowna, which is walkable from Sanssouci.

Other side of the centre and a bit further away there is Cecilienhof "palace" which is more like an English country house (that was the inspiration for the architect). That is where the Potsdam Agreement was signed in 1945. Part of the building is now a hotel but it is possible to visit the rooms where Churchill and co worked and also the main hall where the agreement was signed; you can also visit (on a separate tour) the private apartments of the royal family who lived there; this was early 20th century so much less ornate than you see in traditional royal palaces.

Those are all places I have visited over 3 or 4 visits to Potsdam, but there's still lots left on my "to-do" list for Potsdam,. The same is true of Berlin itself (after MANY visits). But don't worry, do what you can this trip, and look forward to a return visit sometime!

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Potsdam

Potsdam was the summer residence of the Prussian/German kings for almost 200 years. There is not only Sanssouci but also the New Garden with Cecilienhof and the Marble Palace, Babelsberg park and palace, Glienicke park and palace, Peakock Island, the Belvedere on the Pfingsberg, Bornstedt Crown Estate and several smaller objects like Lindstedt and Sacrow castle or the Church of the Redeemer in Sacrow. And Potsdam itself of course.

If you want to see it all you need at least 2-3 days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potsdam

Martin, that would take me 2-3 weeks!