We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

berlin in the snow?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
berlin in the snow?

Due to travel to Berlin monday to thursday. Snow is forcast before we get there. Does it clear/get cleared quickly? Planning to do alot of walking and dont want to be slipping over! I do have boots with grip?

Any advice is appreciated as its first visit to the city

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: berlin in the snow?

There is not really a lot of snow forecasted. And this mainly between now and tomorrow 10am. Which will be of course cleared till you arrive.

> Planning to do alot of walking and dont want to be slipping over!

According to the forecasts the temperatures will stay below 0°C. Has the advantage of no snow mud. But you have to take care of black ice which is more dangerous for slipping than snow. You will have to be especially careful on places which stay in the shadow, e.g on the north side of buildings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: berlin in the snow?

If the temperatures continue to hover around 0, black ice may well be the problem, as I can testify having broken two ribs in January 2012: it had rained overnight, and the surface water had frozen, melted, and frozen again: a deadly mix.

If your boots have thick soles to protect your feet against the cold, and deep tread to help prevent slipping, you should be all right - although nothing but snow chains is really effective against black ice. My shoes (good hiking shoes with very deep tread) were great, but my feet went out from under me anyway.

My mistake was in heading out early in the morning before the gritters came around. So if there is black ice, you might want to start your sightseeing after they've been. Snow, if there is any, won't be a problem. There was a lot of the deep stuff in January 2012: it was no problem, but the ice was. Do be careful.

Edited: 4:35 pm, March 09, 2013
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,789 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: berlin in the snow?

Take the boots ... we had plenty of ice (and some snow) in Jan 2013 and as the 'two a's (above) have mentioned black ice in particualr is most unpleasant. We were very greatful to have our boots on - and too bad we probably marked ourselves as 'torists' by wearing them! Good inner-soles in your boots will also help keep your feet warm.

cheers

helen

manchester
Level Contributor
120 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: berlin in the snow?

stayed there 2 years ago and snowed non stop no need to worry German efficiency they even had snow ploughs on the pavements. Not like here in england bit of snow and grinds to an halt

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: berlin in the snow?

Snow is one thing, black ice is another. There is real danger of injury, and it's as well to be clear about the precautions that are necessary.

But you are right: Berlin isn't like England. The difference, of course, is that Berlin expects a great deal of snow and often gets it, so the city is prepared to deal with it, whereas UK cities (at least London) are not - even though snow is a more frequent occurrence these days.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: berlin in the snow?

Be prepered for snow. I live in the south of Berlin and so far we had about 10cm of snow and it is still slight snowing. As the temperatures will stay below 0 degrees according to the weather forecast it wont melt.

Take shoes with you with a good sole. Most pavements will be cleared quite good but you will also experience pavements which are hardly cleared despite Germans having a law for it. ;-)

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: berlin in the snow?

Thanks for all advice, had no problems at all as pavements were cleared so well!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: berlin in the snow?

That's good to know: thank you. Hope you enjoyed your visit.

9. Re: berlin in the snow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 18, 2014