We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

I am a 29 year old female traveling alone for about 10 days in Germany, Czech and Austria.

I am trying to determine the best way to travel by myself and am debating between flying and trains. I know trains are cheaper, so that would be preferred, but I am wondering if it is safe to travel alone as a female.

Thank you!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

Yes, of course it is safe! Do you think women in Europe travel with chaperones? Young women go traveling all over Europe on trains by themselves.

Have you read something that would make you think that riding a train would be unsafe for women? I think living in LA would be scarier.

Trains are fun and you get to see the scenery.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
20 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

I rode the train from Berlin to Prague with my husband last summer and found the train to be perfectly civilized. We had reserved seats (in a compartment) with four other travelers, making for a cozy (!) and pleasant trip. The main train station in Prague was fine as well. Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

I haven't read anything, but when I was in Madrid I ended up in an unpleasant situation when taking transportation.

I appreciate your response! I have never been to Eastern Europe and I figured it was better to ask than to be surprised by something :)

Germany
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

I would worry much more about my time IN Prague/Czech Republic than about the train ride.

Seriously, I would not worry at all. Use the usual caution and you'll be fine.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

If you can survive downtown LA you'll survive the train and Prague. Just take sensible precautions like you would at home, though the main danger in Prague is pickpocketing.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

I suppose you could end up in an unpleasant situation anywhere, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the train from Berlin to Prague by myself.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
179 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

It depends on which station you get off at in Prague. We made the mistake of ordering the wrong stop in Prague and we are lucky to be alive to tell the story much less we were lucky to find a cabby to scam us out of what is equivalent to $150 US to drive us 6 miles to the Hilton in Prague. Prague in general you have to be on guard at all times. Once you return to Germany ; you will be fine and of course SAFE!!!

8. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, February 24, 2013
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

Brrliner - If you don't mind, what happened in Prague?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
179 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to ride train from Berlin to Prague alone?

We made the mistake of not knowing the difference between choosing one stop over the other. We did not know that one should only choose the main station (Hlvani) or you will be in for an experience that you do not care for. Stay away from astation Holesovice. We arrived there in the middle of the day and the so called mall area was pitch black and all the businesses were closed. It was mid week and there was no holiday being celebrated. There were 4 fellows that looked like ex-NFL players ready to rough someone up. We walked out of the station looking for a taxi stand and there was none. A few moments later, a gruff individual approached and said he could give us a ride to our location. There were no yellow cabs ..the triple A. We were just happy to get out of there. We stayed at the Hilton which was about 6 miles away. Our cost for this taxi was equal to 150 US dollars. Again, we did not want to hangout with the ex- NFL ers. Be careful, these folks in Prague want to take GREAT advantage of tourist. You will feel like someone is hanging you upside down by your toes shaking every cent out of your pocket. P. S. Do NOT buy the Prague Welcome Card either. this is another rip off. And do NOT buy the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour. It will add to the shake down feeling. Stick with the church concerts and cheap beer. It is worth about a day and half of experiences and you will be ready to leave... We went to Umedvidku inspired by Anothy Bourdain. The beer is great and cheap. The food is amazing and inexpensive. But the owner has an ax to grind with Americans over the fact the ownership of the name Budweiser. He explains the name originally was Budvar from the 1500's belonged to U

Umedvidku. He took us on a tour of the original beer cellars

... Quite interesting.... But he wanted to make sure we understood that Budweiser was their "name sake". Actually their version of Budweiser beer is much much better than what is sold here in America. I am not so sure he ever came here and sampled our version of Budweiser... Back to Germany and I was happier for it!!!