We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
deux sèvres
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hello,

We will be in Berlin for 6 days as of next Saturday and I'm trying to work out an itinerary. Here is what I've come up with:

Day 1 : arrival around 1pm, get to hotel (Potsdammer Platz), walk around Mitte (Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Memorial... ) and Scheunenviertel.

Day 2 (husband’s birthday) : Prenzlauerberg? Mauerpark market. Jewish Memorial + cemetery, Unter den Linden, Gendarmenmarkt. Concert 4pm at Konzerthaus. Dinner either Defne or Café Jacques.

Day 3 : AM : Reichstag (booked 11.30) then ex East Berlin (DDR museum etc;) evening concert at Konzerthaus.

Day 4 : A.M> Neues Museum, P.M >cycle(?) around Kreuzberg (Jewish Museum, Turkish market)

Day 5 : A.M > Topografie des Terrors/ P.M Gemälde Galerie

Day 6 : Charlottenburg/Schönberg . Evening : Pergammon Museum.

Please tell me if it seems logical and if there's anything I've forgotten. The Boros Collection has been booked solid for this period for weeks, so that's out. I've tried to put the major museums on 3 consecutive days in order to be able to use the 3 day pass. Would also be deeply grateful for any restaurant café recommendations along the way, not to mention nice places for breakfast (22 euros per person at the hotel, so won't be going there every day!) Last thing (sorry for unfocused post!!) we are hoping to do lots of walking, but also need advice on different travel card/fare options.

Many Thanks!

deux sèvres
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary advice

Thanks for that.

I'll tell you a bit more about the work camp in a P.M to avoid being off topic!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary advice

Just in case it helps. Every Thursday for four hours before closing time, entrance to all the permanent exhibitions at Berlin’s state museums won’t cost you a cent. Some of the museums have opening hours extended until 10 p.m. on Thursdays as well, giving you plenty of time to take advantage of this deal.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the book that you mention. It seems it exists in French and Spanish, which is OK for me. Is it worth getting?

deux sèvres
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary advice

Hi,

We were intending to go to the Pergammon on Thursday (I love going to museums when it's dark!) but I hadn't noticed it was free. Does it mean there's likely to be loads of people? Our visit there is very important for me and I'd rather pay and it not be crowded than have to share with crowds of people.

I think the Itineraires book looks excellent. As I mentioned in an earlier post the illustrations are beautiful and I really like the thematic approach, but since I haven't actually put it to the test yet, I can't really say how good it is. There are two very positive reviews on amazon.fr. Otherwise, if you hang on until we get back (March 2nd) I can let you know how useful it was then.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary advice

I'm with you there Phch - I don't like crowds in museums .

I've never been to the Pergamon on a free Thursday evening, but my guess is that it would be a popular time, for obvious reasons. In fact there are always likely to be lots of visitors at the Pergamon, though not so many in February as during the main tourist season.

If you want to see the Pergamon Altar in peace and quiet, go first thing in the morning: it opens at 10. As you'll be getting the three-day museum pass, whenever you go you won't have to pay.

Edited: 3:28 pm, February 17, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary advice

I guess you would be going to the Pergamon at the end of February. I can't see it being busy then - it's not exactly summer in Berlin. We went to the Neue Nationalgalerie a couple of years ago and got in free but have just been looking on a couple of websites and it seems they might have changed the rules on free entrance now - I think it is only for the unemployed and students but I am not sure about this.

I have ordered the book from a Spanish store, so should have it in a couple of days.

Buen viaje/Bon voyage/Have a good trip!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary advice

The free entry after 6pm on Thursdays stopped for all smb museums about 18 months ago (when they changed the upper age limit for free entry to 18 from 16 to compensate marginally). I had been on a free evening and it was busy but as Alabstron says, it usually is as it's one of Berlin's "top 10" sights. In any case there was no free entry to special exhibitions and the Pergamon seemed to be mounting special exhibitions almost to make people pay I felt.

I'd also be interested in hearing about the DDR work camp if you cd pm me too please. Like you I was in the GDR in 1988, so soon before it imploded but who could have guessed that then? I was in Leipzig, Dresden and Karl-Marx-Stadt(Chemnitz) on a study tour with teachers of German and it was a fascinating experience, not least because we stayed in private accommodation in a very run-down area of Leipzig. I revisited Dresden 3 years ago and it was interesting to compare it with what I remembered (fascinating to look at the photos I took that first time too).

Edit: here's the updated info on free entrance www.smb.museum/smb/service/index.php…

Edited: 5:27 am, February 18, 2013
deux sèvres
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary advice

Thanks for all the info about free visits etc. If we get the three day museum card I may try going to the Pergamon twice if there's two many people the first time.

Scousetwirly, I hope you enjoy the book!

Lynda I've just P.M ed you!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary advice

Thanks, and I've replied too!

I think you and others who read German might be interested in the Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung which has some very interesting publications on the GDR and other periods of German history (very cheap). At least the books are cheap but they are heavy so there's a bit of a problem being tempted, if the weight of your luggage matters (this is the voice of an expensive experience of overweight suitcase!)

Anyway it's at Anhalter Strasse 20, right behind Topography of Terror.

Tel (030) 254 504-0 http://www.bpb.de/

Opening times: Mon-Wed 10:00 – 16:00, Thurs 10:00 – 18:00, Fri 9:00 – 14:00

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary advice

The DDR museum was quite popular when I went might want to get there early.

The Stasi museum is also good. Perhaps a little down time in the Tiergarten.

You can combine Mauerpark - think this was a weekend thing with stopping at the wall memorial on Bernauerstrasse you can take the tram along this street

california
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Itinerary advice

Scousetwirly,

I found a link to some of the illustrations of the book, if you're interested.

It does look lovely... I might buy it also (in spanish)

…elpais.com/elviajero/2012/04/25/album/13353…