We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Hello Everyone,

I know there's lot of information about this on the forums, but I still feel like I would love some advice by people that know my situation.

We are planning 2 months in Berlin with our 2 daughters (age 3 and 9) in July and August.

I have found lots of great information saying that Prenzlauer Berg is a great place to stay for families. I'm finding it hard to find accommodation in P Berg, so I'm just wondering how Freidrichshain and Kreuzberg compare?

My partner and I are both musicians/artists and into organic food and a fairly alternative lifestyle. I would like to stay somewhere that feels safe and attractive for the kids. Would we find a similar vibe in these other areas?

Thanks so much!

Ina

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Prenzlauer Berg is indeed the nicest place to go. Especially if you are into biological/ organic and don't mind many kids around.

I also staid there for a long weekend last july and most hotels tended to be in other areas. So I found a very nice apparment thru Airbnb on the Schwedter strasse, near Kastienallee. Top location!. We rented bicycles to go around the city, so we didn't need to use public transportation.

Edited: 7:05 am, February 12, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

If you are really alternative you might feel more at home in the other areas you mention, they should be cheaper too.

PB is more trendy/ cosmopolitan than alternative (it was maybe 10 years ago)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

When are you going? I'm sure it's an apartment you're looking for as you are going to be in Berlin for two months. There should be plenty of apartments available in Prenzlauerberg - have a look at Urban Apartments.

http://www.urban-apartments.com/berlin/

Key in your dates, and choose "Prenzlauerberg"from the drop-down menu.

There are certainly areas of Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain that would be fine for a family, but Prenzlauerberg is probably best. With children, I would be looking for something on a quiet street with good shopping facilities and a park nearby.

Urban Apartments are a small, Berlin-based, Berlin-only firm. They know Berlin and their apartments well: they're not a big international company with apartments everywhere. If you talk to them I'm sure they will be able to help you find what you're looking for.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Kastanienallee and Schwedter Strasse are not nearly as yuppy as Kollwitzplatz area. Kastanienallee still has elements of the alternative and there's a Lidl (discount supermarket) on Schwedter Strasse which one certainly can't imagine in the Kollwitzkiez!

Schwedter Strasse is the border of Prenzlauer Berg with Mitte and some rental listing put places around Arkonaplatz/Zionskirchplatz as Prenzlauer Berg although they are in fact in northern Mitte. Arkonaplatz has a nice children's play area. There are trams down Kastanienallee into the centre and also along Bernauer Strasse; Bernauer Strasse U_Bahn station at Brunnenstrasse junction.

More about that area www.hausarkona.de/location_in_berlin.html

The streets have little traffic, wide pavements etc (that is also true of the area around Kollwitzplatz). Trams down

Edited: 12:23 pm, February 12, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Oh! So is Prenzlauer Berg and in particularly Kollwitzplatz quite yuppy?

I was attracted to the area for the organic market and positive reviews about bar s, and cafes. (As well as the parks for the kids).

Would we find organic markets and playgrounds in Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg?

If we chose one of these areas are there certain areas within these that would be more family friendly?

Do they also have great bars and shopping in these areas?

We definitely lean more towards the alternative than the yuppy side of things. Also, we don't have a massive budget and I'm wondering whether Prenzlauer may not be the best for finding groceries at decent prices.

Sorry for all the Q's.

Thanks for all your help!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

You have to keep in mind that Berlin is a very alternative progressive city. So it is all relative. People have often far less money than in places like Hamburg, Munich, or Frankfurt.

To me PB looks very relaxed, cool, alternative, but locals who are used to live in a squat appartment call it yuppy because the house are renovated and more expensive these days.

This summer I went on my bicycle thru parts of Friedrichshain and I didn't really like it. Probably too 'alternative' - read many drunks and bums on the street - for me.

For cheap groceries you can goto the already mentioned Lidl. Biological / organical stuff from little shops costs much more of course.

Edited: 7:03 am, February 13, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

You can't generalise! All three areas are large, varied, and mixed. None of them is all "yuppy`" or all "alternative" (whatever those terms mean, and as Grolland's post implies, they mean different things to different people). Each section has a myriad of small neighbourhoods (kieze) and each one has its own character. There are parts of Friedrichshain that are nice (near the park) and parts of Kreuzberg that are prosperous and quite ravishing (along the Landwehr Kanal). And there are parts of each that most people would call grungy (whatever that means) and unsafe (whatever that means - and it means different things to different people).

It would be a big mistake to make your choice of area on this basis. If you chose any of the "wrong" parts of Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg you might land somewhere that could be really unsuitable for your children and unpleasant for you. You may get lucky, and someone here who thinks they live in exactly the sort of area you'd like to stay in may chime in with their opinion of their neighbourhood. But if you'll take my advice you'll talk to the people at Urban Apartment. They know the areas, they know the neighbourhoods, they know the apartments they let. Or contact another Berlin-based firm. I still think Prenzlauerberg would be your best choice. But don't make such an important decision on any preconceived ideas about Berlin's neighbourhoods - or on opinions on an internet forum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Hey. I've just realised, because someone posted on your previous thread, which brought it up to the top of the forum list, that I've already told you about Urban Apartments. So you can scrub that duplicated suggestion, as you didn't follow it up a month ago. (I find it impossible to keep details of old threads in my head.)

I also did quite a lot of research for you about the apartment you were considering near Volkspark Friedrichshain. What happened about that? Did you decide not to go ahead, or wasn't it available? It's in one of the nicer parts of Friedrichshain, and it clearly has the shopping facilities you would need nearby.

Any reason why you've started all over again on a new thread?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

OK. Thanks everyone.

I appreciate all of your replies. It's a bit overwhelming trying to find the 'right' thing for us, when there are so many options!

Alabastron,

I couldn't book the apartment I was looking at, as it was booked out for some of the weeks we will be needing it. Also, I realised it's probably over our budget.

I began a new thread because the last question I asked was quite a while ago, and I thought that maybe my question may go unnoticed on such an old thread.

Also, I did checkout Urban Apartments when you wrote about it in the last thread, but their prices are too high for us. Lovely apartments though!

We are stuggling to find exactly what we are looking for in our price range in Prenzlauer Berg. That's why I'm asking about the other areas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area with family? Prenzlauer B, Friedrichshain, Kreuzb

Good luck in your search, Ina. I'm sure you'll find something. Have you tried these?

www.waytostay.com/Berlin-apartments/…

only-apartments.com/apartments-berlin.html…

www.homeaway.co.uk/Germany/Berlin/r914.htm

I'm surprised that Urban Apartments don't have anything within your budget: they have apartments at all prices in all the areas you're considering. How many bedrooms are you looking for?