We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short trip in berlin need tips

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
short trip in berlin need tips

Hello everybody.

I need some tips so that I can plan correctly what to do in Berlin during my second trip.

I will arrive at 11pm at schonefeld the 22nd and will leave the 26th in the morning.

Since I guess it will be cold I need help about how to organise my itinerary.

I am staying in a pension near uhlandstrabe U stop and I am on my own.

SATURDAY 23rd

MORNING

going to visit Libermann villa and house of conference

AFTERNOON

walk around Gendarmarkt and alexander platz to do some (very little,as I am on a tiny budget) shopping and enjoy a coffee.

SUNDAY

Morning

visit boxhangerplatz and its market and have my breakfast there.(any suggestion about a nice place for a coffee?)

,After I would like to walk aroud to the Stasi museum to get a sight of the east part of the city.

Is it a long way? has anybody an walk itinerary?

Monday

Morning

visit Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirch ,panorampunkt and Gamalgalerie at kulturforum.

In the afternoon another walk around friedchstrabe or around kufusterdamm

I would like to ask :

-What is the fastest way to reach the pension I have chosen from schonefeld?I I will arrive at 11 pm

- I don't get on well with cold weather,is my itinerary too much with outside part?

- Is it easy to reach Liebermann villa from the Wannsee station?

-Where can I buy good german bread to bring home?

thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

You have an interesting itinerary there. Just one comment. The Stasi prison is quite a long trip by public transport - but very much worth it. When you get there, your only option is to join a guided tour (free). They pick you up for the tour at the cafe inside the prison. It's a really memorable experience. You are shown round by a former inmate! Make sure you get on one of the English-speaking tours, if you don't speak German.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

Do you mean the Stasi HQ at Normannenstrasse? It's not really do-able walking there, you will need to take the U-Bahn. It's quite far out from the central area.

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

Hello everybody and thanks for helping me.

I will surerly need to join an english tour of the museum because I do not speak german.

Yes the museum at normannenstrasse, I would like to go there on Sunday dxfrom Boxhanger platz after visiting the market.is it far from there?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

Hi Etna

I've just written a long post answering your questions - and then closed my browser by mistake and lost it all. Sigh. I'll try again.

You can walk from Boxhagener Platz to Normannenstrasse in about half an hour, depending on your walking pace and what catches your eye along the way. Or take the U-bahn from Samariter Strasse to Magdalenenstrasse, two stops. The Stasi Museum is very near the U-bahn.

Tours are apparently only for groups of ten or more, but you can contact them to see if it's possible to join a group. Here is a link:

http://www.stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.htm

I went round by myself, and it was fine: the labelling is reasonably good, and it's all pretty self-explanatory. Don't let not having a tour, if it isn't possible, put you off. (Note: Scousetwirly was referring to the guided tours of the Stasi prison at Hohenschönhausen.)

A morning isn't a great deal of time for the two Wannsee destinations: especially the Haus der Wannsee Konferenz, which has a great deal of information to absorb if you're interested, which I know you are. Make an early start. Take the 114 bus from Bahnhof Wannsee: it's a circular route, so you can just get back on whenever you've finished.

I'd suggest you go first to the Liebermann Villa, from where you can walk to the Haus in about 10 minutes. After you've finished at the Haus, do go for a walk along the lake shore: it's very nice, and should be beautiful in the winter, especially if there is snow. This gives you time to reflect on the sobering things you've seen and read, so don't rush off to Alexanderplatz: make the most of the morning (even if it shades into the afternoon, it's worth it).

Your Monday itinerary won't work, because the Gemäldegalerie is closed on Monday. Even if it were open, you haven't allowed sufficient time to do it any sort of justice. It's huge, it's one of the great collections of European paintings, and you need a good two hours, minimum, just to walk through it. If you want to see it, you'll have to switch it to another day.

From Schönefeld take the Airport Express - RE7 or RB14 - to Zoo, from where it's a short walk to Uhlandstrasse. If you have heavy luggage, or don't want to walk unfamiliar streets in the dark, take a taxi for a few euros.

You can buy good bread almost anywhere. There is bound to be good bakery near your hotel - just sniff around.

You'll be fine outdoors - just dress warmly, and keep walking.

I hope this is helpful. Now I must submit this before I lose it again!

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

hello Alabastron!!!!!!!!!

thanks for your reply.

I will surerly make an early start on a saturday and (depending on the weather) will not rush to alexander as shops close late on saturday.

About Monday :it's a pity but I 've already been there last summer.I just wanted to return as I LOVED this museum.

Since I have an annual musuem pass that it's still valid,what do you suggest?

I need to check the museum island so at least I can use my card a little.

IS there any place you suggest visiting especially during winter time in Berlin?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

You definitely need more than a morning for your Wannsee visits as Alabastron has told you but as you know the shops on Alexanderfplatz/in Alexa close late (10pm) on Saturdays so that will still give you time.

I personally prefer the shopping centre at Potsdamer Platz (Potsdamer Arkaden) which is smaller than Alexa but with a nice variety of shops. It is very near Panoramapunkt if you want to have a look (it has various places to have a light lunch too).

Monday: the DDR-Museum is open every day and is very interesting. You could get the 200 bus from Potsdamer Platz (the museum is by the river near the cathedral).

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

Hi again Etna

If you love the Gemäldegalerie, do try to go. I wouldn't dream of going to Berlin without going there: it's always my first port of call.

Perhaps you could switch Saturday and Monday. The Liebermann Villa and the Haus der Wannsee Konferenz are both open on Monday, so you could visit the Gemäldegalerie on Saturday and combine it with a visit to the nearby Potsdamer Platz Arkaden as recommended by Lynda. I agree with her that it's pleasanter than the Alexanderplatz shops.

Otherwise, the Pergamnon Museum and the Neues Museum are both open on Mondays. The other three Museum Island museums are closed.

You seem to have a lot of walking around in shopping areas: Alexanderplatz, Kurfurstendamm, Friedrichstrasse. How important is that, given that you're not actually going to do much shopping? If I had three days in Berlin, I'd be spending a big part of my time in my favourite museums, and the rest of it outdoors in Berlin's wonderful parks. So here is my pick, which might not be yours.

Favourite museums: Gemäldegalerie, Bode Museum, Altes Museum (all closed Mondays).

Favourite parks and other outdoor walks venues: Tiergarten, Tierpark (great zoo) the Wannsee shore, Schlosspark Glienicke, Pfaueninsel.

The outdoor suggestions assume good weather, by which I mean any weather that isn't too dismally grey - or wet. (By wet I mean rain. Snow is fine, and if it was snowing I'd be out walking in it as much as possible.)

8. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:14 am, February 11, 2013
Edited: 5:14 am, February 11, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

I was editing my last two paragraphs when the phone rang, and of course my editing time had expired.

I was going to add the Schlachtensee to my favourite outdoor places. On a three day visit I would visit all three museums, and as many of the outdoor places as I could squeeze in. If I had to narrow it down to three that are do-able in half a day, they'd be the Tiergarten, the Schlachtensee, and Schlosspark Glienicke.

As I say, these mightn't be your choices, but perhaps they'll give you some ideas.

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: short trip in berlin need tips

Hello lynda and alabastron

yes,I will be switch Saturday with Monday.....................I need to see the Gemaldgalerie again.

I will follow your suggestions:

Saturday

kaiser william church, Panoramapunkt (weather permitting) Gemalgalerie and walk around Alexander platz and nikolaviertel.

Sunday

Boxhanger platz market,Stasi museum ,walk depending on the weather but for sure I will go to the famous chocolate shop near Gendarmenmarkt

Monday

Libermann villa, House of conference evening walk around Kufusterdamm

I think this could work.

Do you agree or other changes need to be done?