We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

Hello, I am looking to visit Berlin next month. I am contemplating to stay at Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hackescher Markt, which I understand is closer to East Berlin (please correct me if I am wrong). However, I read that East Berlin might not be a fantastic choice for non-Europeans due to racist issues (pardon me for my ignorance!), especially since I am Asian, female and would be travelling alone. Which are the safer areas to stay at? Where should I not be wandering about? Lastly, what should I be aware/ look out for?

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

The Adina is IN East Berlin, and it is a perfect location for a first visit (or any visit).

You have no need to worry. Any problems of the sort you may have read about are pretty much confined to areas of the city that tourists never go to. The Adina is at Hackescher Markt, a perfectly safe area that is very popular with tourists, and very convenient for the major tourist sights.

Berlin is a very safe city, and as a tourist you will be very unlikely to even know the names of the areas that might be problematic, let alone go there. The only thing you need to watch out for, as you would in any big city, but probably less in Berlin than most, is pickpocketing. Take good care of your belongings, keep them on you at all times (don't hang your handbag on the back of a chair) don't carry large amounts of cash - the usual cautions that you would observe wherever you travel

Edited: 3:13 am, January 23, 2013
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

There are poor eastern suburbs like parts of Lichtenberg or Marzahn which I would rather avoid as such a situation - but it is not a place you can get to by accident. Former "East Berlin" is actually 3/4 of the city including all the central parts.

There are some "counterculture" punks who blame increases in living costs on "touris" and take off their bad mood on them - but the only thing you have to fear from them is some verbal abuse, and most hatred is directed anyway not at foreigners but at wealthy Southern Germans moving to Berlin and being able to afford much higher realty prices than the locals.

Contrary to some places in Southern Europe, pickpocketing is a less pronounced problem - but it still exists of course.

Edited: 5:38 am, January 23, 2013
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

Yeah I would get it booked. The Adina apartment hotel hackescher markt is really great value for it's superb location. Very safe area with plenty of restaurants and bars close by. Also excellent transport links from Hackescher markt.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

You shouldn't worry at all. This is totally in the center. And anyway East side is cool and I have been many times out till late in isolated areas in Friedrischain or Kreuzberg and I never felt any fear. As I have experienced, in Berlin people are really cool and even I had heard before I came that I should be careful, but there was no need for that. Generally the best places to go out in Berlin is in the East side.

Blacksburg...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

I too am aiming to travel as a solo female traveler for 2 nights in March. Can anyone recommend a good hostel for meeting people? I was looking at the Generator East Berlin and The Cats Pajamas.

Any other advice or sights to visit or places to eat or drink would be much appreciated!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

Hi kryptful, I am a female from Singapore too. I am planning to travel alone next yr to Germany as well. It's my first time traveling alone and I feel slightly fearful too. I hope u can share ur insights with me at naiq@yahoo.com.

7. Re: Safety in Berlin for a female solo traveller.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 25, 2014