We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Union Berlin ground?

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
getting to Union Berlin ground?

as some of you know, im hoping to attend the game against Sandhausen in feb,, game has been announced as kicking off at 6pm on friday the 1st

we fly into Shoenefeld at 12.40pm (hopefully no delays), we are wanting to buy our welcome card/travel pass (still to look into what we need) on arrival then just head to the hotel (booked the topdomizil on charlottenstrasse) drop our bags off and then head out towards the ground

will we have enough time for this, also how easy is the ground to get to?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

Yeah you will be ok. Door to door from Statmitte on a good run you can do it in an hour.. but allow a bit more.

Take the U2 U-Bahn to Alexanderplatz (10 mins travel), then go up to the S-Bahn platforms and catch any S-Bahn heading eastbound four stops to Ostkreuz (10 mins). Get off and walk ten yards to the other side of platform and catch the S3 five stops down to Köpenick (15 mins). (There should be fans with red and white scarfs at this point). Get off and follow the crowd.. (15 mins) along An Bahndamm and turn back under the railway. From here see what everyone does.. normally it's a five minute walk through the forest along an unlit dirt track.. although I've never tried it on a Friday night in February.... any way just follow everyone else. Worth getting in the ground at least 15 mins before start of game.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

Thanks, so as long as we are at the apartments and heading to the ground for say 4.30pm at the latest we should be fine?

It doesnt seem too far from airport to apartment?

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

the travel pass i was looking at was a 5 day one for zones a,b and c

i believe i only really need zone c for the airport and as we are heading home on our 6th day we would just be buying a day pass for then

would i need zone c or could i buy a 5 day zone a and b pass and just pay a single fare to get from airport to city centre on arrival then validate my 5 day pass once im in the centre?

would i need zone c to get out to the ground?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,476 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

>i believe i only really need zone c for the airport and as we are heading home on our 6th day we would just be buying a day pass for then<

Good idea, unless you have enough time early in the day to do something/go somewhere.

>would i need zone c or could i buy a 5 day zone a and b pass and just pay a single fare to get from airport to city centre on arrival ?<

An AB pass will do unless you want to visit Potsdam and/or Sachsenhausen, which are both in Zone C.

>...then validate my 5 day pass once im in the centre?<

Yes, you can do this.

would i need zone c to get out to the ground?

No. Köpenick is within Zones AB.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

just trying to figure out what i need to do looking at the map i have,, sorry for all the questions...

would the s-bahn from Alexanderplatz to Ostkreuz be the S7 heading to Ahrensfelde or the S5 heading to Strausberg Nord??

then Ostkreuz to Kopenick would be the S3 heading for Erkner??

again sorry for all the questions just like to double check things first lol

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

From Alexanderplatz you can take either the S7 or the S5 as they both go through Ostkreuz;it makes absolutely no difference which one you take-just get on the first one which comes.Then the S3 from Ostkreuz to Köpenick.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

yeah i didnt word my last question well sorry,,

i was just wanting to check the final destinations of the S7 S5 and S3 as i didnt want to get on them heading the wrong way lol

i think i have sussed though thanks again

8. Re: getting to Union Berlin ground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 13, 2014