We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, Uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

Hi,

Following TA advice I thought I'd be able to get the airport express trains from Schoenefeld airport to the Melia Hotel but trying to navigate my way through the timetables I think the usual 2 per hour 30 minute express trains might not be so available on Sunday when we arrive? We're due to land at 16.45 but will need to wait for luggage. Am I right in thinking there is a 17.15 express train but then nothing til about 18.30?

I know there are plenty of alternative trains with 1 or 2 connections, but we were attracted by the direct express train as well as the lack of changes! We'll be keen to get to our hotel and start enjoying Berlin.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks, in advance.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

When? This Sunday (11. Nov. 2012)?

The 17:50 RE7 ends on this day at Berlin-Lichtenberg. The next direct option is 18:22 RB14. If you're on time you should be however able to make it on the 17:22 RB14 train. Note that these are departure times from Schönefeld train station. A 5-6 min walk from Schönefeld Airport.

Liverpool, Uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

Thank you very much. My hotel station would be Freidrichstrasse. Are my options, therefore, the 17.22 RB14, or the 17.50 RE7 or finally the 18.22 RB14?

Guess I also have to factor in the time it will take me to purchase a ticket!

Many thanks. I feel more confident for our return journey from Freidrichstrasse on Tuesday where I am certain the airport express trains will be every 30 minutes!

Can't wait. Excited to be visiting for the first time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

The 17:50 RE7 only when you change at Berlin-Lichtenberg to the S-Bahn.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

If your flight isn't delayed, you should be able to make the 17.22. Note, though, that it will take you a good ten minutes to get onto the platform (usually Platform 1). The station is a 5-6 minute walk from the terminal, it's true, but it can take a little longer if you have more than a light rolling case, and there is then a long walk right to the platform which is at the opposite end of a huge station with about 12 platforms - and stairs to climb to the platform.

If there isn't a crowd at the BVG stand at the airport (immediately to the right as you come out and just before the exit) buy your ticket there.

Re your return. You are right that there are trains every half hour, but do leave plenty of time. The train I always catch from Alexanderplatz to Schönefeld was cancelled the Sunday before last - the first time that has happened in about eight trips, and by the time I'd got through security my boarding gate had been announced. (There was still plenty of time, but it was slightly unnerving for someone who always allows far more time than necessary!)

Edited: 7:33 pm, November 08, 2012
Liverpool, Uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

Abalada - thank you for the clarification on the 17.50 train! That's a big help.

Alabastron - thank you for the additional information regarding the amount of time to leave - I did think 6 minutes from airport to platform seemed a little optimistic and now I feel I have a much better appreciation of the time it will take me. Good point also about allowing for a train cancellation, not something I'd associate with German transport usually.

I think it seems likely that we'll end up on the 17.50 RE7 with 1 change, or if we're very slow, the 18.22 RB14.

They might both get in at a similar time at Freidrichstrasse, thinking about it.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you. Excited to be going soon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

If you haven't got a lot of luggage and don't mind changing, and if you just miss the 17.22, the S-bahn is also a possibility. Take the S9 (direction Pankow) leaves at 17.33) to Ostkreuz, and change there for the S5 (direction Spandau) to Friedrichstrasse. It takes longer than the Express, but will get you there sooner than the 17.50, which as you know also involves a change.

Normally I'd say just wait for the next Express, which really is much faster, but if you've got to change anyway, you might as well avoid the wait for the 17.50.

I really do think you can make the 17.22 as long as your flight arrives on time. Only if it is really delayed would you have to take the 18.22.

Liverpool, Uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

Many thanks for the additional options!

Just out of interest, how much will a taxi cost - guess Sunday afternoon the roads shouldn't be too bad into Berlin?

8. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:28 am, November 09, 2012
Edited: 6:28 am, November 09, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

The last time I took a taxi, in August, it cost 37 euros from Schönefeld to our destination near Rosenthaler Platz. It was late morning on a weekday: there wasn't much traffic, and there shouldn't be much on Sunday afternoon. With a tip it came to 40 euros. I imagine it would be about the same to Friedrichstrasse, give or take a euro or two.

I don't think it's worth it unless it's necessary - it was necessary in August as I was travelling that time with my husband, who is 90, and although fit does get tired, and the trek to the station and up the stairs from the terminal wasn't really on. When I'm on my own I go by train. As long as you're mobile and don't have really heavy luggage, take the train.

And if you do catch the 17.22, it will be quicker than a taxi!

Edited: 6:30 am, November 09, 2012
Liverpool, Uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday arrival at Schonefeld airport - trains to Melia Hotel

Thank you, Alabastron.

Your advice is really comprehensive and will be so useful when we arrive - it helps to know what to expect.

That's quite a big difference in price between train and taxi so we'll try really hard to catch the 17.22!

I know everyone asks the same questions, but the replies are really appreciated.

Thank you.