We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

Hello, we are travelling by train from Berlin to Nuremberg in January, and I noted online that there are two main routes you can take, either via Hildesheim, Gottingen and Fulda and what seems like a more direct route through Leipzig and Halle. Both trips appear to take approximately the same time, but I am wondering if one is more scenic and interesting than the other.

I would appreciate your advice!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

On the route via Leipzig the trains cross the Thuringia Forest on a slow, classical rail line. While on the other route also the part through the uplands is a highspeed rail line. Which means a succession of tunnels, trenches, bridges and noise protection walls. Thus you won't get much of the scenery. The first part of either route is rather boring due the flat landscape.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

I've done that journey via Jena and Leipzig. Whilst it's true there wasn't much of interest to look at, there were lots of nice little villages. It's a long journey though, and I did take some time organising the photos I'd taken and reading :-)

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

Thank you for your advice, it was exactly what I was after!

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

how long was this train trip from berlin to nurenberg?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

Travel time is approx. 5 hours.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

The trip was just over 5 hours, but I enjoyed every minute of it! In fact, I spent the whole trip just looking out the window - it was our first time in Germany! We took the first class carriage which was very comfortable.

Liverpool, England.
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

How much did it cost, please ? I want to make this journey during the first week in May, and when I just went on Bahn,de, just before. I was quoted one hundred and nine euros, for my wife and I for a single journey Second Class.

I think I did everything correctly. I thought there was a reduction for advance booking ?

Edited: 1:09 pm, February 10, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

Only if discounted tickets are still available. These are limited in number and go very quickly. On the Berlin routes they can be gone within hours.

Liverpool, England.
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

Thank's a lot. I just checked the booking process again, and it was stiil 109 euro. I'll have to buy them at that price because we've already booked the hotels. I've got to book a train journey from Nuremberg to Munich too. Departing on friday 10/05/13 Won't that trip be less expensive, with Nuremberg and Munich being in the same region ?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel - Berlin to Nuremberg

If it says "Normalpreis" then that's the full fare - €109 is the full fare on the N-B route, I think. Advance tickets are "Sparpreis". N to Munich starts at €19 one-way in an ICE service.