We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
E J
Singapore
10 posts
Save Topic
Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

We are are family of four hoping to visit Munich, Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Berlin from 22 Dec 12 to 01 Jan 13. Need advise whether this is a practical itinerary. We hope to cover all these places and don't mind of the rush. We are flexible in the number of stay in each destination. Our final departure back home will be from Frankfurt.

If it is possible, would appreciate if someone can advise on train bookings.

Thank you for the great help. Johnny

Edited: 1:07 am, November 04, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Of course it is practical, however, if it were my itinerary, I would start from Berlin first.

Berlin -> Munich by high speed ICE train is 6 hrs 50 minutes, advance purchase discounted fares (booking 92 days ahead) can be as cheap as € 69 per person. Book with www.bahn.com

Munich -> Vienna by high speed Railjet train is 4 hours, advance purchase fares start at € 29 per person. Book with www.bahn.com

Vienna -> Budapest Keleti, again with high speed Railjet train is 2 hrs 40 minutes. Book with www.oebb.at. Fares start at € 19 advance purchase

Again, if from Vienna, there are excursion fares to Prague about the same price

see

oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

You may want to fly from Prague to Frankfurt, perhaps with Lufthansa

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Five amazing cities in 11 days, where you'll spend half a day every other day travelling? It's a feasible itinerary, but not one that I would do as I'd barely be scratching the surface. Berlin is a world city and deserves a good 4 days; I'd spend 3 in each of the others. Personally, I'd feel very unsatisfied, not to mention tired.

Bear in mind this is over Christmas and much of Germany shuts down on 24/25 December, though there will still be a train service.

E J
Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately we have already issued our air tickets to arrive at Munich on 22 Dec. However your advice on train arrangements is helpful. Will consider and start planning now. Thanks. This is good start. Johnny

4. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, November 04, 2012
5. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

E J
Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Thanks for your opinion. I agree 11 days is too hectic for 5 cities. I will sacrifice 1 city and do a day trip to Vienna from Prague. In your opinion which city should I sacrifice?

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Since you are not flying into Berlin, then skip Berlin until you have a sufficient time to do it justice (I normally spend 4 days in Berlin, and I am not a first time visitor)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

Prague to Vienna is a 5-hour train journey. It's not a day trip. In the time you've got, I would suggest Munich, Prague and Budapest in order to do them justice.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip from Munich to Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin

As you said you are flying back from Frankfurt non of these cities are exactly a short hop away, so for me Munich, Prague and Berlin would make more sense. It's a crime in my mind to miss out Budapest but it doesn't fit with the time scale you have for the cities involved unless you take a flight rather than a train back to Frankfurt.

Also you are now leaving it late to book hotels and get cheaper train tickets.