We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike in Berlin area

Be'er Sheva...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hike in Berlin area

Hi guys!

My friends and I are going to be in Berlin around mid october and we wanted to have a hike in nature at one of the days we're there.

1. Considering the weather at that time - is it recomanded to go for a hike in nature?

2. Do you have any suggestions about a good 1-day hike at the area of Berlin (or 1 hour from it)?

maybe websites that I can find some detiled information about hikes?

Thank you very much!

Hadass.

Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
585 Reviews
from $37.90*
All-in-One Berlin Shore Excursion...
10 Reviews
from $118.30*
Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,804 Reviews
from $16.60*
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,569 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike in Berlin area

1. Weather can be very nice for hiking this time of the year.

Here a leaflet with hiking options published by the S-Bahn Berlin

s-bahn-berlin.de/aktuell/2011/pdf/S-Bahn_Erl…

E.g. the tour #8 Königs Wusterhausen (35 min by RE trains from Berlin Hbf)

a tour which includes also some cultural sights

Königs Wusterhausen Palace which was the preferred residence of Frederick William I of Prussia

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…B6nigs_Wusterhausen

and the Funkerberg - the birthplace of radio in Germany

funkerberg.de/geschichte/index-geschichte.htm

Another option would be to make a part of the 66-lakes-route which goes around Berlin (400 km long).

66-seen-weg.de/…0.html

map

wander-bahnhoefe-brandenburg.de/…

here detailed maps for a suggest route Wandlitzsee (~ 60 min) - Lanke - Biesenthal Bahnhof (train station) (~ 45 min)

some photos of lakes Liebnitzsee and Hellsee on this route

maerkische-naturfotos.de/barnim/liepnitzsee.…

maerkische-naturfotos.de/barnim/hellsee.html

Be'er Sheva...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike in Berlin area

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

I'll check the links and surely find some usefull information. The lakes sounds promissing!

Have a nice day!

Hadass

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
841 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike in Berlin area

The area around Berlin is rather flat, so the only picturesque hikes are from lake to lake.

Another option could be Potsdam. The city was the summer seat of the Prussian kings, that's why Potsdam is surrounded by several large parks. You can walk from park to park without seeing the city much. If you start at Potsdams main train station you cross the old town to Sanssouci, then go to the Ruinenberg (artificial ruins), to the Volkspark (the newest park, from 2001), Pfingstberg (beautiful viewpoint from the 19th century), Alexandrowka (Russian houses), Neuer Garten (last park of the Hohenzollerns, with Cecilienhof palace), pass Berliner Vorstadt (home of Berlins rich and famous), cross Glienicke Bridge (the spy bridge from the Cold War), visit Glienicke park (with a palace by Schinkel) and Park Babelsberg next and return to the train station. All in all around 20km. If you need a map just print out one from Openstreetmap, which shows hiking paths too.

Be'er Sheva...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike in Berlin area

Also sounds like a great option. I'll look into it as well.

Thanks! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,553 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike in Berlin area

A walk that I love and have done several times is from Glienicke Bridge to the Pfaueninsel, and then around the Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island). You can get to Glienicke by bus from Wannsee, or, if you'd like to have a beautiful boat trip, take the 7-Lakes tour offered by Stern und Kreisschiffart. It's a circular tour, but you disembark at Glienicke, visit the bridge and the park and the Schinkel's beautiful palace described above by Martin, and then walk along the lakeshore to the Pfaueninsel. The walk itself only takes an hour, but you can then spend a good two or three hours more walking around the Pfaueninsel, which is a nature reserve with massive old trees and some very interesting buildings.

There are two very nice traditional restaurants along the way - one at Moorlake, between Glienicke and the Pfaueninsel, and one on the shore side when you get to the Pfaueninsel. And there is a great little café on the liegewiese at the Pfaueninsel where a tireless lady makes the best bratwurst in Berlin. (I think.)

If you haven't had enough by then you can walk back to Wannsee, but if you've bought tickets for the full 7-Lake tour you can get back on a later boat at the Pfaueninsel and complete the journey back to Wannsee. There is also an hourly bus.

I wouldn't call this a "hike", but including the exploration of the Pfaueninsel it is a really beautiful walk, and a pretty full day out.

You'll see peacocks roaming free on the island, and if you're lucky, some of the will be showing off their tails.

www.sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm…

Edited: 7:17 pm, September 23, 2012
Be'er Sheva...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike in Berlin area

OK, so I decided to go for the Potsdam tour-hike suggested here.

If we'll see that we not yet satisfied our hike passion we'll probably go to part of the 66-lakes-route, to enjoy the view and a little walk.

Thanks a lot everyone and I hope this will be usefull to others as well!

Hadass

Beersheba, Israel
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Hike in Berlin area

hi, would love to know what you liked and didnt as i will be there in august with a friend and we also want to hike! thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,781 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hike in Berlin area

haadco, the autumn colours should be wonderful mid-October: If you are lucky you will see them in blazing sunshine, or it could be atmospherically misty. I was in Berlin mid-Oct last year and the first few days it was still really warm (record highs for the date). A friend and I walked across Tiergarten park on the Sunday and everything was so bright and clear; by the Tuesday the weather had broken and I had a very different (but also beautiful) walk in Charlottenburg Schlossgarten

Edited: 4:21 am, June 27, 2013
9. Re: Hike in Berlin area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 29, 2014