We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

Berlin, Germany
1 post
Save Topic
Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

Sep 6, 2012at 2:30 pm I took a cab from airport to Hilton Berlin. Driver took me to wrong hotel, left me 100 m from hotel and charged me 48 euros. I gave him a 50 euro note but he switched to a 10 euro and complained I under paid him. So I paid him in full. When I realize wrong hotel I check my wallet (I had only one 50 euro) and none could be found. So I paid 98 eurofor a taxi ride that should be 25 euro.

Taxi numbering 4986

Hope all travelers watch out for this scam

Hope that Berlin visitors are treated better

Chris Chan

Edited: 3:05 pm, September 06, 2012
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

i don't get this. All Berlin taxis are metered and unless you've made an error somewhere, the bit about "switched to a 10 euro" doesn't make sense. If the meter said €48 why did you agree to pay more?

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

I think what XC2003 is saying is that when he handed over the first 50 EUR note the driver switched it for a 10 EUR note and insisted that this is what was handed to him in the first place. So XC2003, obviously confused, gave another 50 EUR note leaving him out of pocket by 48 EUR.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,926 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

That's how I read it, except that XC2003 says he had only one 50-euro note, so he must have handed over a combination of notes and change.

I assume the driver hadn't turned the meter on (it couldn't have said 48 euros from Tegel to the Hilton) or else he banked on XC2003 not having looked at it if it was turned on. Rogue taxi drivers seem to be rare in Berlin, but I suppose they exist here as they do in other cities.

XC2003, I assume you reported this incident, as you took the driver's number.

Edited: 2:30 am, September 07, 2012
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,433 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

If people would consult the forum BEFORE they travel they could avoid getting ripped off in the first place. A simple search here would have brought up numerous posts about the typical cost of a taxi from the airports and use of meters etc. It's unfortunate the poster got a very rare rogue driver. Most Berlin taxi drivers are reliable and go "by the book."

Berlin, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

12.SEP.2012 Arrived with KLM to Berlin Tegel from Amsterdam; Made the line and picked a taxi. Asked himi to take me to Marriott Courtyard Berlin Mitte, Axelstrasse, so taxidriver, around 30 years, good german speaking, dark skin, drives, and then arrives to some place, here we are he says, shows me in his screen in car 47, that is, 47 euro, I think it is stange but the screen says that, pick up my lougage, ask for a receipt but before giving the receipt the guy leaves; where was I, 20 min from my final destination.

Byen
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

I don't think you should take any further notice of these fist-time-posters stories about Taxi scams. They are probably the real scammers. That is not to say that there aren't some dodgy Taxi drivers in Berlin but they are rare. Very.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

Well, I've had very bad experiences with taxis, too. Not in Berlin, but in Munich, Prague, New York, London, Helsinki, Beijing, Budapest, Bucharest and Moscow.

This is the reason I don't take a taxi unless it is absolutely necessary. In Tegel, it is not. There's a good bus service that will take you to the nearest subway station.

Edited: 4:00 am, September 13, 2012
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

I wonder how he managed to hand the taxi driver two 50 Euro notes if he had only one in his wallet. Something is fishy here.

All taxis are metered. The meter is in front of your nose if you sit in the front seat, hence easy to control.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

Well he could have had one 50 euro note , and another 50 euro in smaller denotations in his wallet.... ;)

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,475 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi scam at Berlin Tegel

I have not made a close study of Berlin taxi meters but are they not adjustable for differant tarrifs? The common trick in Amsterdam is for the driver to start the journey on the correct tarrif and then change it as he changes gear!