We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

czech railway

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dhaka
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
czech railway

In my 3 weeks tour in central europe I will travel mostly by db and obb. But in prague to berlin route I have no other option but to take czech railway as it seems to be the only on-line ticketing option. Can anyone please tell me about the quality of czech rail in terms of timing and comfort?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: czech railway

E.g. EC 172 Vienna - Prague - Berlin

www.zelpage.cz/razeni/11/vlaky/cd-172?lang=en

There are different aspects

- operational responsibility lies inside the Czech Republic always with CD (Czech Railways. If the train arrives already late in the Czech Republic this is however not the fault of CD.

- rail cars (comfort) will come from one or more of the railway companies of the countries this EC train runs through. In the case of the EC 172 the rail cars come from DB and ÖBB. But with other EC trains on the route Prague to Berlin there can be also CD or MAV (Hungarian) rail cars. To qualify as an EC train the rail cars must have a certain minimum standard. E.g. approved for up to 200 kph, a/c etc.

- locos come again from the railway companies en route. In the case of the EC 172 Vienna - Prague is done by an ÖBB loco, Prague - Dresden by a CD loco and Dresden - Berlin by a DB loco.

- conductors will be changed at the stations closest to the borders. Thus when you board in Prague there will be Czech conductors. And only Czech conductors can approve the validity of online tickets issued by CD. That's why you can get for Prague to Berlin online tickets only from CD. If you buy from DB you will get a classical special paper ticket which has to be shipped to you via mail (will add a shipping fee of EUR 3,50).

Edited: 3:33 am, May 25, 2012
Dhaka
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: czech railway

Thanks a lot abalada for the detailed response.

Ipswich, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: czech railway

In 2009 my husband and I travelled by train Munich to Prague with tickets we had purchased in Australia for travel through several other countires. Purchased first class and I cannot fault the Austrian and German lines, clean and always on time. When we left Munich we were not aware that a few stations down the track the first class carriages were dropped off and the unsuspecting passengers in these carriages had to go elsewhere in the train. We managed the cabosse near the toilets at the rear with a lovely view out the back of the train. No A/C and very warm day and very uncomfortable seats. It was a very interesting few hours but a lesson learnt about trains in some of the countries. We are returning in 2013 but a little wiser this time.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: czech railway

Jennifer: Hopefully the main lesson is not to buy overpriced tickets/passes through Australian re-sellers :)

For future reference, now you can travel from Munich to Prague for €29 with the express bus - you can still travel by train but it takes longer. That train is the same standard as other international expresses - it is Czech, but you couldn't tell the difference between it and its German or Austrian counterparts www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_Bmz.php

Shadab: If you want to see the compositions and interiors of the trains you will be travelling one, take a look at this site:

http://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/?&lang=en

5. Re: czech railway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, June 21, 2013