We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats there to do in berlin??

Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
whats there to do in berlin??

I was wondering what exactly there is to do in berlin??...i have a pretty good command of german and im up for anything...but it doesnt stand out as a tourist destination?!

Insider Tour
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Day Trips
Fat Tire Tours Berlin
City Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Original Berlin Walks
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Next City Tours Berlin
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: whats there to do in berlin??

The first thing I do when I go to Berlin is get a weekly travel ticket, about 25 euro, usually sold in ticket machines at rail stations, if you have problems understanding the machine get the attendant, who will be in a kiosk nearby, it lets you use all public transport, so if you feel like just sitting back and relaxing, get on a bus tram or train and have a mistery tour, it is amazing how much you can learn from this experience, and a good way to fill in time when you have had enough of just walking arround.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
326 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: whats there to do in berlin??

I agree to blackjack. Mystery tours with the public transport system are always great fun. Whenever I am in a major city I try to do at least one. I just get out at a station I find somehow interesting and see what awaits me. Very rarely, this ends up being a waste of time, but mostly it is one of the most enjoyable things to do. It gives an idea of the diversity of the city you are visiting and helps you to get off the beaten track.

Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: whats there to do in berlin??

I was like you, but Mrs Rodcar wanted to see Berlin so we booked some flights got a great hotel deal, & the more research we have done the better it gets & we just cant wait until Thursday when we arrive for 5 nights.

We also contacted the German Tourist Board via e-mail & they sent maps & loads of info onto us about Berlin.

Also the Berlin Public Transport web site has to be one of the best sites for travelling in a city via public transport that there is. Better than NY & all the European Cities we have visited such as Paris Rome Barcelona & Prague.

Get booked up & go. :0 )

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: whats there to do in berlin??

I lived in Stuttgart for four years in the late 1980s and visited Berlin a few times during that period. I am saddened every time I think of the fact I moved back to the US one month before the Wall fell. I have not been back since and am absolutely estatic about going back for the first time to see how the city has changed. I still remember Checkpoint Charlie actually having machine guns directed at the East, and an East German soldier (while visiting East Berlin) offering me a military medal of his for my pair of Levi's that I had on.

I can't wait to see how things have changed. Berlin's history is not extended back centuries or millennia like Rome or Vienna or Athens. Most of the history is concentrated over an area of before WW2 to the end of the Cold War. And in that respect there is a great deal to learn. There was much to see and learn when I was there in 1989, so I can only imagine how great it has become now that it is one city.

That’s a non-local, tourist like yourself’s take on it anyway.

15. Re: whats there to do in berlin??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 12, 2009