We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

Hi everyone,

I am considering booking a holiday apartament in Berlin, in Kreuzberg, Freidrichstrasse.

I've heard that it's quite a dangerous district though, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Has anyone been there themselves/knows anything about Kreuzberg?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

The most urgent problem for native Kreuzbergers seems to be nowadays the gentrification of the district. Something which would not happen if it would be dangerous there.

Dangerous is also relative. What is for Berlin standards dangerous may for other big cities safe. And for a big city Berlin is a comparably safe place.

Of course one can list the city districts by crime. To no surprise the districts with a decent nightlife will come before the ones without. A bit exaggerating: if you have a district without any restaurant/pub nobody can leave the property without paying the bill (a crime). And no drunks in a pub can start fighting and hurting each other (also a crime).

Edited: 2:56 am, July 14, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

I don't consider Kreuzberg to be dangerous, but you can not turn your head without seeing grafitti, bums, and other assorted low-lifes. Lots of the residents are the young bohemian types. There's also a large gay/lesbian presence, and lots of different ethnicities are represented. I happen to always stay in Friedrichshain, which is similar, but I feel very comfortable in these environs. Since you're asking the question, I would think the exterior of E. Berlin would bother you some, as the first impression would probably be defined as seedy. I don't think you'd have a problem, but I also think you may prefer to stay in the west towards Charlottenburg.

Edited: 5:18 am, July 14, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

Oh, and find out what is the closest U- or S- Bahn station to your apartment. If it's Hallesches Tor, even my spidey senses work overtime there.

Berlin, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

Bohemian and still kinda dirty, but dangerous, not at all. I lived there for a year, 5 years ago when it was a bit rougher than it is now, in the "worst" part (by Kottbusser Tor/Gorlitzer Bahnhof) and though I found it dirty and grafittied at times I didn't feel that I was in any kind of immediate danger.

These days the area is actually known for having the best bars in town right now. So if you're into nightlife it's the place to be. The best parts are around Schlesisches Tor and anywhere west of Kottbusser Damm, but a few good places have opened up between the two as well.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

It's safe.

I am from London (and have lived in SoMa, San Francisco too) but now I live in Kreuzberg, near Kottbusser Tor (which isn't the prettiest) and there are a lot of life's unfortunates but I rarely feel unsafe.

There's a park near me and on one side you have guys pushing drugs to those that are interested alongside young well-to-do mum's pushing their expensive prams. No threat of any trouble. Part of Berlin's charm is it's rough and ready but also friendly and full of character.

And I should add, for me, Kreuzberg/Neukölln and to some extent Friedrichshain are the best areas of Berlin. Best atmosphere, most character best bars. Just... too many English speakers like me :P

Edited: 3:33 pm, July 14, 2011
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

Most of these comments are vast generalizations which could apply to parts of Kreuzberg, but by no means apply to the entire borough. The area around the foot of Friedrichstrasse that's in Kreuzberg is not at all dangerous or even "seedy." It's just a downtown neighbourhood. Things get more bohemian around Kottbusser Tor or Görlitzer Bahnhof, but Bergmannstrasse, Chamissoplatz and that district are as pretty (and gentrified) as it gets, for example.

There are some pockets where, as a foreign tourist, it might actually be a little dangerous right now due to the current counterculture anti-tourist propaganda, but they're nowhere around Friedrichstrasse. Avoid bars where a lot of punky types are drinking, and don't respond to any provocation. Just walk away.

<<I would think the exterior of E. Berlin would bother you some, as the first impression would probably be defined as seedy.>>

Again, very over generalized. There's really very little that's visually different about former East Berlin anymore, over 20 years after the fall of the Wall, and many neighbourhoods are as stylish and attractive (or more so) than anything in the former west. Still, there are grotty areas and pockets where you possibly wouldn't want to be out walking late at night.

Still, doing some generalizing myself, Berlin is not a terribly unsafe city and in the nightlife districts on warm nights there are masses of young people out on the streets until all hours.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

If you're at the end of Friedrichstraße, around Mehringplatz, you have nothing to worry about. I've stayed in that area several times and have never had any problems - about the worst I've seen is the vaguely-drunk homeless guy opening the door to the supermarket and expecting a tip...

Berlin, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

There are some areas in Kreuzberg you should stay away from:

- Around the Station of Kottbusser Tor (Drug business, assaults and robbery)

- Görlitzer Park and Hasenheide Park after dark (same as above)

- Station of Hermannplatz especially at night (assaults, pickpockets, drugs)

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

Possibly true, but around Kottbusser Tor is a vibrant immigrant (mostly Turkish) neighbourhood known as Little Istanbul, which is part of Berlin's rich multicultural mosaic and is not at all unsafe during the daytime.

And until recently, my gym was near Hermannplatz U-Bahn station so I went through there several times a week at various hours of the day and night. Although for a while there was a growing "scene" just around the entrance to the station with counter-cultural and homeless types hanging around (and probably selling drugs), there was a crackdown of police and BVG security and I think that the problem has since abated. In any case, they didn't bother you if you didn't bother them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin - Kreuzberg - is it dangerous?

these messages have been really helpful, im going to berlin next march/feb and wondered were the best place to stay for late night dance music and ''trendy'' bars and clubs... im swaying towards kreuzberg or friedrichshain what do you reckon?