We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin - In One Evening

Waukegan, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin - In One Evening

I know it sounds ridiculous but I will be in Berlin on 17th October only for one evening (6:00PM till past midnight).

Could the experts suggest the best thing I could do in this short a time period? The "Must-See"s or DOs?

Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
585 Reviews
from $38.00*
All-in-One Berlin Shore Excursion...
10 Reviews
from $118.90*
Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,805 Reviews
from $16.60*
G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

Maybe do a hop on and hop off bus tour or see if you can book a walking tour (not sure if they will be on that late). Might be too late to see anything but maybe there is some twilight / in the dark experience? Might be worth checking with the Tourist information centre what kind of tours they offer in the evening? Other than that, maybe visit a museum that has late opening hours?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,569 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

Forget about classical sight seeing. Just do one of the tours offered by the Festival of Lights.

www.festival-of-lights.de/en/festival-tours/

festival-of-lights.de/en/about-the-festival/

Waukegan, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

I did following 3 things in 4 hours I had on Sunday evening.

1. Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe - It is informative but I felt it was a mistake to visit it. It was too depressing. Besides, bygones be bygones. Why rake up the old dust?

2. Reichstag - I was among the last 10 persons to be let in. The long wait in the queue was worth the pain.

3. Ride on Bus 100 from Zoologischer Garten to Alexanderplatz. It covered the Unter Den Linden and all other major attractions.

What I missed however was the Potsdamer Platz. Probably next time. :-)

Thanks once again.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

As to your #1 above, I frankly cannot even believe you posted that comment.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

everyone is entitled to an opinion!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

And mine is that to call the slaughter of millions "old dust" and to suggest "bygones be bygones" is an ignorant statement. What the memorial represents is not a surprise so if that does not interest you, go elsewhere.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

I haven't been to the memorial in question, but I have to agree with caviargal. The whole reason there are such memorials is so that we (globally) do not let "bygones be bygones" and forget. If we forget the past, we are more likely to repeat it in the future. I would think it would be evident that it would be depressing and one would not visit if one did not want such an experience.

8. Re: Berlin - In One Evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 29, 2011