We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Berlin
Search

Using German Rail Pass on Berlin S-Bahn

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
Using German Rail Pass on Berlin S-Bahn
Save

My hotel is one S-Bahn stop from the main train station. If I get off at the train station, can I use the pass to take the S-Bahn on the same day? Do I have to show it to anyone to get pass the ticket area?

Clubrestaurant am Wannsee
$$ - $$$, German, Central European, European
Hackethals
$$ - $$$, German, Bar, Pub
Kurpfalz-Weinstuben
$$ - $$$, German, European, Wine Bar
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
44,032 posts
1. Re: Using German Rail Pass on Berlin S-Bahn
Save

S-Bahn trains are covered by a German Rail Pass.

> Do I have to show it to anyone to get pass the ticket area?

Only on request by (plain clothed) ticket inspectors. There is no ticket area where the access is controlled. No turnstiles or so.

But note that other types of local public transport like U-Bahn, trams and buses are not covered by your rail pass.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
3,393 posts
2. Re: Using German Rail Pass on Berlin S-Bahn
Save

There used to be a limitation as to the Berlin S-bahns that was printed in the brochure that accompanied the German Railpasses. I just got my new German Railpass for my next trip and the section limiting the use of the railpass is gone. Someone came to their senses.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
44,032 posts
3. Re: Using German Rail Pass on Berlin S-Bahn
Save

OP wants to go to Friedrichstrasse which is anyway a proper railway station, not just a S-Bahn station. And to this station the German Rail Pass was also valid with the restrictions in the past.

OP - besides the S-Bahn trains you can also use regional trains to get to Friedrichstrasse station.

station map Friedrichstrasse

berliner-bahnhoefe.de/pic-lage/Friedrichstra…

area map Friedrichstrasse station

bvg.de/index.php/…1-1

4. Re: Using German Rail Pass on Berlin S-Bahn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:25 am, October 12, 2010