We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is berlin tap water clean to drink

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
8 reviews
9 helpful votes
is berlin tap water clean to drink

im off to berlin next week

im just wondering if tap water is safe to drink there

i know munich is..

cus i really can't stand the german fizzy water..

have to have it flat

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
1. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

The tap water is *safe* to drink in whole Germany. The question is how it tastes.

So I'sd just recommend to try. ;-)

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
60 reviews
72 helpful votes
2. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

I drink it all the time :-) So no worries

BTW, in case you don't like the taste of tap water in Berlin you will have no problem buying still mineral water in the shops.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

Exactly what BerlinGal said. If you are in a restaurant and you want still water, say:

- Leitungswasser (pronounced Laa-y-tungswaser) : tap water

Or:

- Still (shtill) Mineralwasser

(still mineral water)

Or:

- Ohne Kohlensaeure (o-ne kolensoyre)

Not carbonated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
4. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

traying to speack in german..it is easy just drink from the tap..it is safe anyway..

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
34 reviews
232 helpful votes
5. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

??? - this is western europe - I would like to hope it is able to be drunk from the tap. Fizzy water would only come frm bottles wouldn't it.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
23,696 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
6. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

Well tap water being safe to drink is one think and being pleasant to drink is another! Here in BCN I brush my teeth with tap water it but we always buy big carafes of still mineral water to drink. Having said that my memory of Berlin water was that it tasted OK.

Decatur, GA
10 posts
7. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

Der Wasser in Berlin is safe to drink but I think it tastes bad. Try it and then decide if you want to buy decent water. Some places in Germany (ie. Hannover) have excellent tasting water. Berlin unfortunately is not one of them. You can buy non-fizzy water in Berlin at major stores and at Ka De We (pricey). The kiosks generally have Mineralwasser.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
8. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

MP93 - It's "das Wasser", not der Wasser. Besides, there is no problem to get still water anywhere. She doesn't have to go to KaDeWe or to a Kiosk to get it, just to know what to ask for, since if she only asks for "water", they'll think of fizzy ones.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
60 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: is berlin tap water clean to drink

I personally find the tap water in Berlin is o.k. tastewise. Anyway, as Lylou said you wont have a problem buying bottled water (still and sparkling/fizzy) anywhere in supermarkets, at Kiosk etc.