We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Potsdam?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Potsdam?

WOuld you recommend a day trip to Potsdam from Berlin? Is it best to go with an organized tour ( if so which one ) or can we go by ourselves? Any other day trip from Berlin to suggest?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

http://www.potsdam-tourism.com/

local public transport network Potsdam

swp-potsdam.de/swp/media/05-verkehr/fahrplae…

> or can we go by ourselves?

No problem. All you need is a day ticket for the zones Berlin ABC. EUR 6,50 pp.

Sachsenhause concentration camp memorial site

http://www.stiftung-bg.de/gums/index.php

This one is in Oranienburg. Which is like Potsdam in zone Berlin C.

I would not recommend any further day trips as long as you don't have more than 1 week for Berlin itself. You'll need the remaining time for Berlin.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

Yes to a day in Potsdam but it's easy to do on your own, I wouldn't bother with a tour from Berlin. Most guidebooks to Berlin include a section on Potsdam so it's easy to work out what you want to see.

Having said that, visiting once with friends, we did go on a bus tour which started from outside Potsdam station and showed us more than we'd have managed to cover ourselves, incl. Cecilienhof where the Potsdam Conference took place. However exteriors only to palaces.

The Old Town is nice and has a Dutch Quarter; further out there is a Russian colony.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

I traveled to Potsdam by train and then took a mini-bus tour with "Alter Fritz", which was just outside the train stastion. Usually I'm not a "tour" person, but it was a rainy day, and this was small and personal and covered old parts of Potsdam and the Frederick the Great estates. It also covered a visit to the Potsdam conference site where the heads of state met post-WWII. It did not include tours of Sanssouci's palace interior, however.

There were audio phones on the little bus which could be used to hear English or other languages. The tour was also discounted with my ABC Berlin Welcome card. At the end of the tour, you could choose to remain in a pleasant part of Potsdam and stroll around on your own, or have a snack or meal. It was an easy walk back to the station from the last stop in Potsdam where you could get out to be on your own.

Vancouver, BC
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

Hi Sue,

I'm taking the tour with "new Berlin" look them up online, the tour is €12 if you are a student.

And their trips to Potsdam are: Mon, Wed, Fri & Sun

I'm going on Friday (1/30)

Cheers,

Victor

New Jersey
Level Contributor
356 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

Visited Berlin last year in the fall and took a day trip to Potsdam. As suggested by our hotel staff, take the train, but, get off one stop prior to Potsdam, then take a boat ride to the city. Very scenic, and reasonable price. No need for a guide/tour. Suggest picking up a copy of FODORS Germany (gold book). It has maps and points of interest all described for you.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

I can only agree with all above me: if you have the time, a trip to Potsdam is definitely worth it.

No Problem to go there by yourself using public transportation.

I would recommend Sanssouci Palace and the surrounding Gardens, as well as the old inner city with the Dutch Quarter.

And if you have the choice: Definitely only go when the weather is nice because it would be a shame to miss out on walking through the palaces' parks.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

We used Insider tours for both the Potsdam tour and the Sachsenhausen tour. I think for the price you can't beat it, and I do think you get a whole lot more from a place if you take a walking tour as opposed to just reading info from a book. The guides are usually very passionate about what they are doing and often have wonderful stories to relate, some of them also very moving and sad.

NC
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

Victor,

How was you tour of Potsdam? Any suggestions ?

9. Re: Day trip to Potsdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, October 16, 2009