We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Berlin????

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Berlin????

Hi, i am coming to Berlin with my boyfriend for 5 days, we are staying in the east of Berlin. What are the best bits of Berlin to see? And where are there nice bars and resturants in the East??

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Berlin????

i used to live there and there is so much to see. best thing to do would be to get a weekly travel card. available at all ticket offices. this lets you have unlimited travel on bus/tram/tube/railway for a week.

get hold of a 'rough guide to berlin' best of a varied choice of travel books.

it would be a good idea to get on a city sightseeing bus and river tour too. they sound corny but are a great way to see stuff with simple explanations.

try to eat out loads. the best areas are around prenzlauerberg/mitte/kreuzberg. very trendy and the new heart of berlin's old east side.

take a ride up to the top of the tv tower. 'fernsehturm' and have lunch in the rotating restaurant at the top. very old school east german. was the only view of the west for the old ossies.

the best beer in berlin is not an easy one. loads of local type brews. they're all good as the germans have a purity law to stop the brewers using chemicals. take your pick.

check out museum island if you fancy a bit of culture or go and have a picnic in the 'tiergarten' and have a look at the new parliament building called the 'reichstag'

you really need a map. berlin isn't that big really. if the weather's good go and see one of europe's largest inland lakes called 'wansee' you can get a train direct there from alexanderplatz.

lots of good clubs about too. there used to be a freebie magazine called '030' with hundreds of listings.

hope that helps

have a great time

The O.C.in U.S.
Level Contributor
348 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Berlin????

See the Reichsteg,the Gate.the big open park has open flea mkts.Go to the Zoo train station- across st, is a Dunkin Donuts store-where you can get a free guided walking tour of the city. Stroll the Kurfurstandamm street it has lots of things.

Husum, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Berlin????

I do agree with suggsy so far. various best dining facilities for every budget at prenzlauer berg/mitte/kreuzberg. you may try MANZY at oranienburger strasse (metro-station Hackescher Markt). If you are interested in architecture join a guided tour thru Hackesche Hoefe and the old jewish district - I found it very interesting, takes about 2 hours.

The jewish museum is also worth a visit and I definitely recommend botanical garden, although its in the west.

Enjoy, Kai

Husum, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Berlin????

Ooops, forget to mention Nationalgalerie. A great Goya-exhibition takes place there. To avoid the crowds, check out best day time before you´ll go.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,816 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Berlin????

As a guide book to carry round with you I`d suggest Lonely Planet Berlin which has more practical layout. I love Rough Guides but find them better for advance planning (even night before) than using on the ground. Michelin Berlin is excellent with clear layout (but alphabetical whereas others go by area)

Go to Centrum Judaicum (in New Synagogue on Oranienburgerstrasse. Gives you more sense of Jewish community in Berlin while Jewish Museum gives history of Jews inwhole of Germany over the centuries.

Go up Reichstag dome and up Potsdamerplatz 1- Panorama to look at developments in the area (still ongoing) · 3-hour boat trip is well worth it.Using S-Bahn rather than U-Bahn means you see more of the city too.

And do go out to Potsdam one day (on S-Bahn line)

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question