We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

I will be in Berlin for two weeks in April. The first week I will be with clients at Hotel Berlin for a conference. I need to take a small group to dinner three or four nights while I am there. I speak German and would like to visit some more authentic, less Americanized restaurants in the area. Walking distance would be nice, but a short taxi or public transit ride would be fine. My fantasy would be to find a few places without an English menu where there are more Germans than tourists. They don't have to be fancy or expensive. These are techies, not executives. What can you suggest? Thanks.

berlin
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

The first place that jumps to mind near Hotel Berlin, Berlin (if this is the one you thought of) is Cafe Einstein. It is a beautiful classic European cafe, which also serves meals.

There are quite a few restaurants around Nollendorfplatz, which is not far away, but as for your request for a small German restaurant... - Berlin, in that sense is like London - while there are good German restaurants and good pubs where you can get traditional German food, there are plenty more ethnic restaurants, especially Turkish ones. For a nice bistro, try perhaps April :

berlineating.blogspot.com/2008/02/april.html

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Yes, I should have said Hotel Berlin, Berlin. Curious name.

I didn't mean to preclude ethnic options, just the more touristy kind of places.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,367 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

I would also suggest Cafe Einstein, it is only a few hundred yards from the hotel (left as you leave the hotel). It is in Einstein's house and it is possible with a group to sit in what was his study, where he worked on his theories.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

Around the area of Nollendorfplatz/Winterfeldplatz/Goltzstr. you'll find heaps of nice restaurants. You might come across the odd tourist but the main guests in bars and restaurants in that area are locals.

A very nice Greek restaurant (more like a greek tapas bar) is Ousies at Grunewaldstr. 16

You could also try

Quinta 35, Winterfeldstr. 35 - Spanish

Massai, Goltzstr. 35 - African

A bit further away but worth a visit is

Taverna Medusa, Perelsplatz 10 - Greek

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

BerlinGal, Many thanks. These all look excellent and will provide me with plenty of options. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

6. Re: Restaurants near Hotel Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 23, 2009