We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad parts of Berlin?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
austin
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bad parts of Berlin?

My family and I are visiting Berlin in early march and I have been looking for a tourist apartment to rent when I am there. I have found that he apartments are very inexpensive in the former East Berlin (Near the Ost Bahnhof and directly south of the river near the Ost Bahnhof). Are those areas of Berlin safe at night? What is the best are near the Mitte to be?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad parts of Berlin?

Berlin in general is quite a safe city but has some not so nice areas. Anyway, these are usually where tourist hardly get to.

The area around Ostbahnhof isn't really that nice to look at but so far I've felt o.k. even at night. Anyway, I do not live in that area so I've been there only a few times in the evenings. Maybe somebody else can give you a better information.

I personally would prefer other areas like Prenzlauer Berg, Schöneberg or Charlottenburg. It doesn't take you long to get to Mitte and you have nice restaurants and bars in walking distance.

Germany
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad parts of Berlin?

I agree with BerlinGal on most points. There are some seedy areas in the former "East" Berlin. These are around Lichtenberg and Friedrichshain. If you stay in "Mitte" you are fine. If you are dark-skinned you should avoid some of the Eastern suburbs and take care when travelling public transport at night in more lonely neighbourhoods (tends to attract so-called skinheads). But on the whole Berlin is a fairly safe sort of place.

austin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad parts of Berlin?

Thanks for the information. I am trying to decide between two tourist apartments. One is in Prenzlauer Berg on Schoenhauser Allee (smaller and more expensive) and the other is in Kreutzberg on Heinrich-Heine-Strasse. (bigger and less expensive). Recommendations?

Thanks

berlin
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad parts of Berlin?

As said before, there are really few areas in Berlin, which are unsafe, and are usually beyond the scope of tourists.

Having said that, of the two apartments, I would probably pick the one in Prenzlauer Berg. Schoenhauser Allee is a very long avenue (and quite noisy, but so is also Heinrich-Heine-Strasse), but has excellent access to restaurants, sites, night-life, and public transportation. I just find the Heinrich-Heine area a bit ugly with nothing around the immidiate vicinity. It is not dangerous there, though, and if it is not on Heinrich Heine Strasse, but just near it, it could be a cosy nice place.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad parts of Berlin?

The seedy areas aren't just in former East Berlin. The area around Charlottenburg railway station, for instance, is not very appetizing. And Kottbusser Tor in Kreuzberg. But generally, Berlin is fairly safe.

6. Re: Bad parts of Berlin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 17, 2009