We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

Which Wurzburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

Hi ,

i would be grateful for some input. We r planning to come there in 2 weeks and not sure where to base ourselves, nuremberg or wurzburg for 4 nights. We want to see both cities, also bamberg and rothenberg/resenberg. We do have a car and would be interested in living in a town which is scenic and has loads to offer.. Both of them are really nice but unsure which one to choose??. This is my 5 th trip to germany and looking forward for a great time in germany again..........

thanks

ash

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

I'd choose Nuremberg as you can easily do Tothenburg and Bamberg from there and the city itself also has a lot to offer.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

I'd splitt it - two nights Würzburg and two nights Nuremberg or maybe ditch Nuremberg for Bamberg, which is much nicer.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

Würzburg if just one of the two. Nuremberg is okay for a day trip, I am still wondering what is apparently so special about that city, Würzburg and Bamberg are so much nicer.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

Bamberg is my favorite of the towns mentioned - so it would be my choice to stay. Nuremberg makes a great base for day trips by train since it is a hub, but since you are travelling by car, that is not a consideration. With a car in any of these towns, choose your lodging wisely. We based ourselves in the middle of Bamberg with a car and had some fun times driving in and out of town ;-)

I do like Nuremberg too - it isn't as well-liked as a lot of the other towns by a lot of people - it isn't as picturesque as the others. The Nuremberg old town has been rebuilt and is a mix of old, new built to look old, and new that looks new. This is a turn off for some, but I think it is interesting. Plus, Nuremberg it a bigger town and has more going on at night than the others - although we found plenty of places to drink beer late into the evening in Bamberg.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

I have visited all three cities (Rothenburg, Bamberg, and Nuremberg) from a single base town - Neustadt an der Aisch, which lies in between Würzburg and Nuremberg and is roughly the same distance from all three. Nice small town with old wall remnants and a pleasant town square. My accommodations there were unbelievably reasonable. Nearby Iphofen, a wine/artist town, is even more charming. Either might work well for you as an alternative to the larger cities you mention.

Extra-cheap daypasses make train travel in this area quite easy. For 16.80€ per day, two can travel from Neustadt to Nuremberg, Rothenburg, or Bamberg on a "Tagesticket Plus" daypass - no navigation or parking hassle, no meters, just hop on the train and 30 minutes later, you're in the middle of Nuremberg. If you use this daypass for Saturday, you can use it again on Sunday for no additional charge. Really. For a trip to Würzburg, a Bayern Ticket (26€ for two) works well. So if there's a place in Germany where a car is an unnecessary and expensive burden, this is the place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

Thanks everyone!! Will base myself in wurzburg or Neustadt an der Aisch. Looking forward to the cities and beers. Thanks again to make my choice easier !!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

Russ - your suggestion months ago in here sounds hepful to my trip planning, yet wonder if I speak and read no German is English common in Neustadt?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

yrtx4e: You won't hear English spoken anywhere on the street in Germany, usually, unless you're talking about the ultimate tourist mecca of Rothenburg or some similar place. However, English is an important international language, and any German who interacts with people from other countries is expected to know some English. Tourist office employees almost always do. Same with hotel employees. Average Germans generally take language learning seriously; in public school, they typically study English over other languages, and most younger people can hold basic conversations on basic topics without much trouble. College-educated Germans almost always have good skills and fluency. Most Germans who know English will probably be eager to use it with you. In Neustadt-an-der-Aisch, like elsewhere in Germany, you can probably use English to get directions from or order a meal from the typical younger working-class person. Bank personnel should generally be able to help you in English. Hotel clerks will surely have enough English skills to get you checked in. Senior citizens are far less likely to do English. Neustadt is not a tourist mecca at all - a typical, attractive German town - but the town does get visitors from elsewhere in Europe, and people there aren't backwards mountain folks who have never been to school. IME, in smaller towns, Germans are generally more fluent in English and English is spoken by more people than in France or in Italy.

I stayed a few years back at the Neustadt apartment below - nice little place, though a bit far from the train station. Many small-time innkeepers and hosts speak English in Germany, like the Beck family does, and they often advertise this skill, as they do on their English-language webpage:

http://www.accommodation.de/48003.htm

Some hotels have English web pages:

http://allee-hotel.de/index.php?id=23&L=1

This place's owners speak English and French:

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p2109442

I wouldn't worry about a lack of German skills in Neustadt or in towns of similar size in Germany, especially western Germany, as long as your English is OK.

Edited: 11:41 am, January 12, 2014
9. Re: Wurzburg or Nurnberg for 4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, January 26, 2015