We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets

cheshunt
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Markets

Hi

thinking of going to germany 14 december to see one of the xmas markets, and take in the real christmas spirit that england has lost, or isn't allowed to show anymore, and was wondering what Wurburg was like for it's markets etc for a long weekend, or any other market in germany.

Marienburg Fortress
Castles, Historic Sites, History Museums
St. Kilian Cathedral
Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,872 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets

Würzburg Christmas Market is from 30. Nov. till 23. Dec. 2007.

wuerzburg.de/de/…

2999.Wuerzburger_Weihnachtsmarkt__Die_schoenste_Zeit_des_Jahres.html

(you have to join the above 2 lines into one link)

Würzburg would be also an ideal start point to visit the Christmas Markets in Nuremberg and Rothenburg.

http://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/

http://www.rothenburg.de/index.php?get=121

Ardee, County...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets

Hi

We haven't been to Wurzburg market but the Christmas market in Frankfurt is excellent and is about 1.5 hours drive away. Not far from Wurzburg is the walled town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber which has a small but authentic Christmas market with a more intimate feel to it, I'd recommend it .

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Markets

Stuttgart has Germany's largest, most visited, and one of the oldest and probably the most beautiful Christmas markets (www.stuttgart-tourist.de www.stuttgarter-weihnachtsmarkt.de ). Nearby are two other themed smaller Christmas markets that attract over a million visitors each, Esslingen Medieval & Christmas Market (www.esslingen.de) and Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market (www.ludwigsburg.de). All three places have excellent other things to see and do.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Markets

We lived in Würzburg some years ago and much enjoyed the Christmas Market. Würzburg is still my favorite city to visit in Deutschland, a nice combination of old town and new blood (university keeps it young). As an Archbishop's town, I thought that it kept Christmas well.

We also lived in Nürnberg for about the same length of time. Their market is much bigger and probably better known.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a fairy book medieval setting. They have a full-time Christmas industry, especially Käthe Wohlfahrt's Christmas store. It is a good place to visit, but better not at peak tourist times such as the Christmas Market.

Regards, Gary

Wurzburg Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Markets

Hello I highly recommend the Wurzburg Christmas Market. It is great. I still live in Wurzburg and one of the big things in the winter that keep me here is the Christmas Mart the spirit and feel is awesome. You have to try the Feuerzangenbowle. A very nice drink.

6. Re: Christmas Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 08, 2009