We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

We have been looking online for a calendar of events for Rothenburg. Can anyone tell us what is happening between Christmas and New Years? Is everything closed down? Are the night watchman tours still going one? Are there any concerts or events at this time? What recommendations are there for someone travelling to the city after the 27th December? We won't be there for New Years and we can't be there for Christmas - we're wondering if we should wait and come another time - or is this a nice time to be in the town?

Also we are wondering if there is usually snow there around Christmastime?

Thank you.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

I expect the town to be at a low ebb at this period. I think nothing much will open, and Nightwatchman to only walk until Christmas.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

Okay - thank you for helping. No watchman tour after Christmas. sounds like this might not be a good time to go to Rothenburg. Our other options are Fussen, Oberaggamau, and Hohenschwangau - any advice on which might be best for two nights following Berchestgaden?

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

I would forget Rothenburg at that time. We were in Bacharach on the Rhine at that time in 2011 and even the tourist office was closed.

We were in the Fussen area Dec. 27 & 28 and the castles were open and the town seemed to be operating normally.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

Okay - sounds like we'll head to the Fussen area to see the castles.

Could you please tell me though - if you had to chose one place to overnight in (we'll stay two nights so we're not rushed) would you chose Hohenschwangau or Fussen? We're going for sheer aesthetics - whichever has the nicest appearance, scenery, look and feel. What do you think?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

First, I would contact the Rothenburg ob der Tauber tourist information office to see what will actually be open during your visit- http://rothenburg.de/d/ISY/index.php .

The reason for most people to visit Füssen ( www.fuessen.de ) is to see nextdoor Neuschwanstein Palace. Therefore, why not stay in a Hohenschwangau hotel that has excellent close-up views of Neuschwanstein from your hotel room, and it's lit up through most of the night so you can enjoy the views. It's the exterior views of the palace that make a visit enjoyable, not the interior which was never completed and has only very short tours. It's nice to view its exterior under various lighting and weather conditions, after all, it's an architectural work or art in a lovely setting on the edge of the Alps.

We always stay at Villa Jaegerhaus, a former hunting lodge with antique decorations that has excellent close-up views of both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Palaces, both of which are lit up during the night. Some rooms there have views of only one of the palaces, and some corner rooms of both. The restaurant in the associated hotel across the road has very good dinners with lots of flaming dishes, as well as a very good breakfast with omelets made to order. Information on the palaces and hotels can be found at www.hohenschwangau.de . You can easily enough drive, walk or take a bus or taxi to explore Füssen.

Some hotels may be closed over the actual Christmas Holiday (24-26Dec) as the owners like their vacations too.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

To stay overnight, I would choose Rothenburg as I like walking around the town which you can do whether or not anything else is going on

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

Okay - thank you both for the tips - I'll check out that tourism link for Rothenburg too since it sounds nice in the evening.

Also marcopolko - could you please tell me - have you heard of the Hotel Villa Ludwig in Hohenschwangau? We tried Villa Jaegerhaus but could not get a room for our family. Villa Ludwig has very few photos on TA - perhaps it is new.

Good idea to stay as close as possible to the palace - I know some think it is not a big deal but for us it is huge.

Thanks again!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

The last time that we stayed at Villa Jaegerhaus was between Christmas and New Year's several years ago, and they were closed for Christmas and reopened on 27Dec. I don't know Hotel Villa Ludwig, but on out last stay they appeared to be opening a new hotel down by the small lake. Many people seem to like staying in Hotel Müller, but I don't believe anyplace in Hohenschwangau can top Villa Jaegerhaus. We've also stayed in Schwangau, but the views of Neuschwanstein are too distant from there.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

I appreciate the reply - I think I'll try Villa Jaegerhaus once more - otherwise, it's either Villa Ludwig or back to Fussen.

Thanks again!

Munich, Germany
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rothenburg - What do do Between Xmas & New Years

Will stores in Rothenburg be open from Jan 2?