We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

new zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

I will be staying one night in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber 3rd September and will be flying out of Munich Airport on 5th Sept at 3pm on an International flight. Have decided it is too risky to stay until the 5th and travel to the airport on the day of flight so will probably leave on the 4th and overnight somewhere. Will be using bus or train travel. Would it be easiest to go to Munich and stay there on 4th or can someone suggest elsewhere.Are there many changes to get to Munich. Another thought is the Romantic Road Bus. Will have already spent a few days in Munich so the idea of another stop over is attractive. Is Augsburg worth a night. Read somewhere that there is an Airport bus from there to Munich Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Augsburg
Augsburg
Swabia, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

You could travel to Freising. Nice town and closer to Munich Airport than Munich. There are buses from Freising to Munich Airport every 20 minutes.

freising.de/fileadmin/…GaestemagazinE2012.pdf

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Destination: Freising

you can do this cheap on a Bayern Ticket. Select as means of transport "only local transport" for this.

www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

Mentioned in this post
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Brisbane Queensland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

I would leave on the 4th as well . You need to have a little time up your sleeve. I am an Australian staying in Hallbergmoos about two stops from the airport. It is a little farming village on the edge of the airport. Catching the train from Munich is so simple. There are two routes the S1 which goes via Freising and the S8 via Ostbanhof. Basically they travel in different directions and then meet at the airport. Just be careful on the S1 route at Neufahrn station sometimes the train splits. Make sure you buy a ticket as the ticket inspectors checked me two nights ago. Now where could you stay? There are many places around Munich. Freising is s larger community close to the airport and there is probably more accommodation there. But check out both places. They are easily accessible by train. Another place is Ismaning

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Another option is Erding, about 10 - 15 minutes from the Munich airport. There's a walkable small center, a big thermal spa and a brewery, too.

In Rothenburg, take the Night Watchman walking tour if you can! It's great.

Edited: 9:54 pm, April 25, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
The  Night Watchman Tour
The Night Watchman Tour
1,123 Reviews
Rothenburg, Germany
Brisbane Queensland...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Another Hotel i looked at today on my daily walk was this www.haus-zum-gutenberg.de/en/preise_en.html. looks clean and tidy .

If you decide just get off the S8 train and wait for 698 Hallbergmoos S bus and get off at stop Birkenecker Str and walk to your destination. which is only a 5 minute walk.

Edited: 12:08 pm, April 26, 2013
new zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Thanks for your help. Only thing I am confused about is the use of the Bayern ticket. We are traveling with various numbers of people on various train trips and I am not sure which trips will qualify for use of this ticket. We have 7 people travelling from Passau to Munich and presume we can use ticket for this trip. Four of us then travel from Munich to Fussen and from there to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. After that 2 of us will go from there to either Munich, Freising or Augsburg. On the last trip we are heading for the airport in Munich for our return journey to New Zealand. Have considered going to Augsburg because I am sure I read somewhere that Lufthansa have an airport bus from Augsburg to Munich airport. Can't find that info anywhere. Will try posting question in Augsburg forum

Mentioned in this post
Passau
Passau
Lower Bavaria, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Augsburg
Augsburg
Swabia, Germany
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Haqve you checked the distance and travel time from Augsburg to Munich airport? I'd rather pick one of the towns nearby. Freising and Erding have already been mentioned, let me add Landshut, which is a gem of an old town but hardly known (and has an airport bus, too).

Mentioned in this post
Augsburg
Augsburg
Swabia, Germany
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Erding
Erding
Upper Bavaria, Germany
new zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Thanks for the info. Am deciding between the Isar Hotel in Freising and the Romantikhotel Fuerstenhof in Landshut. Both places take about the same time to reach fron Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Notice they both go via Nurnburg with an 11 minute change time. Is it a large station that would make that an impossible connection time? Also both towns look interesting. It will be nice to stay in a small town after many large cities. Saying that Landshut does look larger than Freising.

Mentioned in this post
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
new zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Link did not work but managed to check it out on another site. What is the little town like in the area. Am also looking at Landshut and Freising hotels. Would it be best to travel from Rod Tauber to Munich and then on to this area or via Nurnberg the same as the other towns. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
new zealand
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

Thanks for the info. The train link is wonderful. Very easy to navigate.

10. Re: travel Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber to Munich airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 02, 2014