We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open on Sunday?

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Open on Sunday?

Are shops, etc. open on Sunday? Do you know what the hours are?

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Open on Sunday?

To answer my own question, everything was open on Sunday. Even the Night Watchman gave his tour. Our only regret was not having enough time to really explore. Arrived in the afternoon and left early the next morning. We stayed at the beautiful Romantik Inn. Just wonderful.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Open on Sunday?

Pianoteacher,

My husband and I are going to be in Munich for 48 hours (noon saturday to noon Monday) in late November, then going to Rothenburg for 24 hours before heading to Mainz.

Did you have enough time in Munich to do the things you wanted? we are trying to plan with a similar time frame and I was interested in how it worked out for you.

Also, we were thinking of arriving in Rothenburg mid-afternoon Monday, and staying until mid-afternoon the following day before driving to Mainz...would this give us enough time? How far was the drive from Munich to Rothenburg?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Open on Sunday?

We had 2 days in Munich and for us sufficient time. Friday we rented a car and drove to Mad Ludwig's castle, Oberramergau and the Church in the Fields (Wieskirchen?). We didn't have enough time to shop in Oberramergau because we needed to be back in Munich by 9 pm, but I did pick up some things. Saturday we went to Dachau. We got sidelined with a quaint open-air market in Munich so only had 3-4 hours there or so and could have used more but wanted to be at the Hofbrauhaus downtown for dinner and the World Cup game at 5 pm. The next morning we got up early and drove autobahn to Rothenberg via Erlangen - maybe 2 1/2 hours. We didn't arrive in Rothenberg until noon-ish and had to leave early Monday am to take my son back to Erlangen. We didn't see as much as we wanted, but enjoyed what we did. Wanted to walk around the wall but only did a 10 minute or so walk and climbed a tower. Shopped a bit, took the tour, had a very nice dinner, and toured a church. If you have 24 hours and move it, it'll be ok, but you'll still want to go back another time.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Open on Sunday?

Thanks so much... this makes me feel better about our limited time:)

Holiday, Fl
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Open on Sunday?

Hi i have many questions. i need much help planning our trip over to germany. any advice is greatly appreciated. we are going either in june or sept. 07. we want to see in depth neuschwanstein,rothenburg rhine river and surrounding areas. we are also going to innsbruck and wanted to go to munich to the hofbrauhaus and maybe drive to venice from innsbruck. we have 14 days and are flying into and out of frankfurt. is it cheaper do you think in Sept. ? are we going to have a hard time w/ hotels though? do you recommend booking rooms ahead of time or can we just see how long we want to stay in each place. we are renting a car for the whole trip. i am nervous though. we did go on a tour last year and it did'nt seem so daunting. Now as time goes by it seems more scary. we are also taking our teenagers!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Open on Sunday?

My holidays in Europe are almost always in June or September -- and it's great.

European schools are still in session at both times, so the tourism is less, as well.

Given a choice (which I can no longer do because of school schedules) I'd take September -- smaller crowds, gorgeous (if chilly) weather, and less issue with hotels.

Arriving in Rothenburg mid-afternoon allows you to see the sites, wander the town itself, and go on the Watchman's tour -- the next morning is a good time to wander the ramparts, then head out about lunchtime (eat in Rothenburg, or hit the road -- your call). the tour buses arrive en masse late morning, and Rothenburg's best times are when the buses are gone.

Holiday, Fl
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Open on Sunday?

thanks, i am concerned about school sched. because my son will be an 8th grader. I spoke to his school and they did not seemed too concerned if he missed 9 days as long as we got all work in advance to make up. if he was in high school i would not even consider it but air fare is much less in sept. as opposed to June. are you ever concerned about not getting lodging due to festivals etc... can you recommend good reasonable hotels? thanks

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Open on Sunday?

September is generally good weather in Bavaria.

If you are not familiar with driving in Germany, the use of the parkshein or parksheibe for parking, how to use the bus or rail etc, there is an excellent site "Brians Guide to getting Around Germany" at

gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/verkehr.htm

It is a great help.

Rothenburg is a beautiful place to visit. Young boys may like the extensive medeival weapons collection at the StaadtMuseum. The Medieval Crime Museum is also interesting but may be a little much for Middle School. The 8PM nightwatchman tour with George is really a treat, informative and entertaining. Climb up one of the towers and take a walk around at least a part of the walls. Check out the city vaults in city hall.

The official Rotenburg site is at www.rothenburg.de/d/ISY/index.php?get=121

Click on" List of accomodations" for places to stay. I highly recommend the Hotel-Garni Hornburg or the Klosterstubel for lodging. Also, the restaurant at the K'stubel is a great place for dinner. Check their ratings here in the tripadvisor.

In Munich, you should probably try and visit the German National Museum, on an island a short walk from the Marianplatz. Similar to (but much smaller than) the US Smithsonian.

There are several good places to stay near Neuschwanstein. In Hohenschwangau, just below the castle, is the Hotel Muller-- a very nice place. Nearby (40 minute drive) is Ludwig's Linderhof castle or yoy can drive a little north and see the Weiskirche and maybe tour Oberammergau, another beautiful small town of painted houses and craft shops.

Rember that if you drive on the Austrian motorways (Autobahns), you need to have a "Vignette" on your cars windsheild. Not required for most roads, just the Autobahns. You can get them at most german gas stations near the border.

19. Re: Open on Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 18, 2009