We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burg Hornberg???

Phoenix
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Burg Hornberg???

Is anyone familiar with this castle? I can't seem to find reviews online. My husband and I are interested in staying at this castle. We are thinking we will stay one night there (after driving from Mittenwald, stopping in Fussen along the way) and then drive the next day to RODT to tour the city, stay the night, and see the Night Watchman Tour. We will then proceed back to Munich for our departure the next day. Does this seem like a good plan? Enough to do/see for 3 days/2 nights in the area, including drive time? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Fussen
Fussen
Swabia, Germany
The  Night Watchman Tour
The Night Watchman Tour
1,114 Reviews
Rothenburg, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burg Hornberg???

Burg Hornberg is no way near your route, but it is along the Neckar River by Neckarzimmern. Consider instead to stay at Burg Katzenstein ( www.burgkatzenstein.de ) which is one of the best preserved Staufer-age medieval castles, and they also do a nice medieval dinner which you have to sign up for ahead of time. Nearby is the lovely abbey church at Neresheim ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neresheim_Abbey ), and also the lovely Thurn and Taxis Palace at nearby Dischingen, but you cannot tour the interior ( for some nice pictures- www.dischingen.de/tourismus/ausflugsziele/ ).

In and around anywhere in Germany should be several weeks' worth of excellent sights, and this area is no exception.

I heartily recommend making two stops along the way from Fuessen to Rothenburg ob der Tauber which are just off of the A7 autobahn: the abbey church in Ottobeuren ( www.ottobeuren.de ) has what I consider to be the best church interior in Germany being jam-packed full of more beautiful Baroque religious items than can be easily comprehended; and the Münster in Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) has the world's tallest church spire, climbable if desired.

Mentioned in this post
Burg (Spreewald)
Burg (Spreewald)
Brandenburg, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Rothenburg
Rothenburg
Middle Franconia, Germany
Ulm
Ulm
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Phoenix
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burg Hornberg???

Thank you, marcopolko, for this info. I know that Burg Hornburg is not exactly on our route, but thought it might be fun to see some more of the country. Do you think the extra drive time is worth it? According to google maps, the total drive time would be about an hour and a half longer. I had seen the castle you mentioned, but their website makes it look a bit "cheesy" for our taste, with the reenactments and people in costume, etc. Would you agree? Burg Hornburg seemed a bit more classy, but I certainly respect your expertise in this area over the looks of a website! The church spire in Ulm sounds interesting! I will add that to our list!! We live in Minnesota, where there is a town called New Ulm, I am assuming after this town!! :) Are there any other castles that we could stay at in the area? Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Burg (Spreewald)
Burg (Spreewald)
Brandenburg, Germany
Ulm
Ulm
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burg Hornberg???

I've visited Katzenstein many times, as my sister-in-law lives a few minutes away, always enjoy it, and have enjoyed our one stay there for her birthday celebration with medieval meal as the rooms are nice. They have special events for which those pictures were taken, it's normally not like that. Just a pleasant medieval castle with a restaurant and beer garden. But those special events can be interesting, we enjoy attending their Christmas Market.

I don't think Hornberg is worth a visit in your limited time, unless you want to spend days or several weeks getting there and around the area which it deserves. Otherwise, your time is best spent visiting excellent interesting places, not on actual travel.

Another medieval castle with lodging is Harburg which is further from the A7 autobahn- http://www.burgschenke-harburg.de/ only in German so use your computer browser's translation facility.

By the way, a group of people from New Ulm, Minnesota participated in last years large carnival parade in Biberach an der Riss not too far south of Ulm. Of course it is named for Ulm, Einstein's birthplace. And Ulm has an interesting history, as its Swabian people emigrated and populated areas far to the east traveling down the Danube River in their "box" boats.

Mentioned in this post
Ulm
Ulm
4. Re: Burg Hornberg???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, June 22, 2013