We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

I will be visiting Rothenberg ob der Tauber soon and would like information on where I might be able to purchase one-of-a-kind hand-made artist teddy bears in the city. Any suggestions?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

There is a toy store in Rothenburg that has a really big teddy bear, about six feet tall. Don't know if that shop sells hand-made bears, but you might want to try to find the shop and at least have your picture taken with the big bear. I don't know the name of the shop but you really can't miss it.

Edited: 8:33 pm, April 27, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

Although not in Rothenburg, but fairly close near-by, and not having any artist hand-made teddy bears, the Steiff Museum is in Giengen an der Brenz, inventors of the teddy-bear. Their website is www.steiff.com/site/index.php?shopID=4000 , only in German so use your computer browser's translation facility, or just search the Internet for more information in English.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,945 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

A bit puzzled as to why you expect there to be such things in R o d T

Has someone told you that they are available in this part of Germany?. (Because I've not heard of that)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

Let's see, the same post for 7 cities in 5 countries, where I doubt that any such thing exists! If they do, certainly not common.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

"A bit puzzled as to why you expect there to be such things in R o d T

Has someone told you that they are available in this part of Germany?. (Because I've not heard of that)"

I am a collector of teddy bears and I especially like the one-of-a-kind types that are hand-made. There are people (artists) all over the world that use their "arts & crafts" abilities to create these special animals. After all, that is how companies like Steiff and Herrman started. There are many bear artists/makers in all of the countries that I will be visiting but because the task is so labor intensive, they don't always have inventory to put in stores. So I was hoping someone out there might know of places that I might be able to find a special souvenir.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

Not exactly what you are looking for because these are not one-of-a-kind but you may want to have a look at them: The finest plush animals in Germany are created by the toy manufacture in Kösen. Yes I rate them higher than Steiff. There are shops that sell these animals in many cities - in Nürnberg and Köln for sure. Their website is, unfortunately, in German only. Here is their assortment: www.koesener.de/seiten/produkte_frame.html - click "Namen" on the left for an alphabetical list of the animals, then have a look under "B" at all those named "Bär" and "Braunbär".

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

I think the correct approach to finding such information is not through tourist information websites, but those for people that share your interests where you might contact some of those people directly by e-mail and ask their advice.

Although certainly not hand-made, sometimes I have seen some interesting teddy bears, such as the small ones in Lederhosen with back-packs which we bought at the Stuttgart Christmas Market this year for our grandchildren. Flea markets also will have some old teddy bears.

8. Re: Artist Hand-Made Teddy Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, October 29, 2012