We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Germany

Rome, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Germany

I will be traveling to Gernany next summer with my partner and his 13 year old. I definitely want to see Bavaria and the medieval villages as well as the castles and alps. I am interested in seeing Neuschwanstein; and am interested in Rothenburg and Nymphburg as well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about an itinerary for us. Should I stay a couple of days in Munich? I want to have a relaxed vacation and one that is also interesting for a 13 year old as well. I realize that I can't see all of it but what sort of schedule would give me good sampling of what I want?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Germany

Please let us know how many days you have for your trip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Germany

Oops - sorry - in your title - 4 days. That is very short. I think first you need a good guide book and each of you select one favorite thing that you really want to do. That's 3 things and possibly 3 days. Then it would be easier to help with an itinerary. Maybe each pick a second choice also and see if they coordinate into a plan.

Does the 4 days mean 4 days 3 nights in south Germany or does travel time need to be taken out or is it 4 full days?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Germany

Most important is where do you fly into?

If Munich, then yes, stay for a couple of nights in Munich. I think you may be best to have a car.

And is 4 days 5 nights?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,239 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Germany

With 4 days you can see the Nymphenburg palace on one day as it's in Munich. You can take the train or drive to Nueschwanstein for the day, returning to Munich for the night. Then spend a night in Rothenburg ob de tauber. With only 4 days this won't be a relaxed vacation. You may want to cut out a site or two or add a few days to your vacation.

Donna

Rome, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Germany

I was thinking it might be bit much. We will be there for 4 nights but I don't want to kill us in the process. Maybe should spend our time in Munich and do a day trip to Nueschwanstein. We could also stay in Fussen and plan out activities around that area or do you think that we would could find enough to do?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Germany

we just got back from Fussen and found it a wonderful base for exploring the wider area. Fussen itself is small but well maintained and pretty. The castles in Fussen are 'so so' in my opinion and HEAVILY catered to the American and Japanese tourists but the surrounding area of Fussen is absolutely spectacular (and probably worth a stay even without the Ludwig castles). We stayed in the Landhotel Guglhupf which was about €70 a night and we had a balcony that overlooked the castle. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - beautiful breakfast, spacious and clean rooms.

I also put Rothenburg into the category with regard to the hordes of American and Japanese tourists. Whilst Rothenburg has an interesting history, about 50% was demolished in WW2 and the city is more like a purpose built tourist park now. The restaurants are average and the shops are purely for tourists.

Rothenburg is not a Bavarian experience in my opinion and would only recommend a 1 night stay here. You can probably tell due to most of the reviews of Rothenburg hotels and attractions are written by Americans.

We also stayed in Dinkelsbuhl which is only about 50km from Rothenburg and in hindsight would have stayed 2 nights here and taken a day trip to Rothenburg. Dinkelsbuhl is a nice little town and is more of a Bavarian experience.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Germany

so, which hotel did you stay in while in Rothenburg?

From my perspective, Rothenburg is usually very quiet and un-horded after the buses leave, so I'm interested in where you stayed to get different impression!

A couple of people have likened Rothenburg to Disneyland- again, something curious to me. Yes the shops usually sell tourist tat, but to suggest they're purpose built seems bizarre to me.

And finally, I'm very interested in "Bavarian experience"- it would be fascinating if you can tell us what you mean by that, to help future travellers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Germany

we stayed in the Goldener Hirsch - ok for one night and reasonably cheap. Standard breakfast, rooms were tired but clean. Service was good.

I agree with you, when the hordes of tourists leave, Rothenburg is quiet but unless you go outside of the walls, there aren't too many options to make a night of it past 9pm. We dined at a restaurant in the main square and I had a Schnitzel with french fries (the menu said 'french fries!', should have been a warning in hindsight)....

starting in Fussen is a good place to start for a Bavrian experience. We found an old pub with a bavarian band, dancing and great food. I had potato soup, a pork knuckle and a local lager for a meal.

not saying I didn't enjoy Rothenburg but people need to understand that it is a german town dressed up in american culture in year 2010.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Germany

Rothenburg is very pretty and well maintained for the bus tour groups. To me it is a nice place to stop for a few hours to get some good photos. But the old town is purely a tourist enclave--pretty much every business is aimed at the tourist trade.

Responding to another commenter, on the other hand, even though it gets a massive number of tourists, Neuschwanstein is one of my favorite castles in the world--largely because it is a relatively "new" confection of the fevered mind of "Mad" King Ludwig. I've seen hundreds of castles around the world, and there is nothing like Ludwig's creation. It is especially interesting to me as a historian who specialized in 18th thru early 20th Century history. But the interior, while never fully completed, contains some of the most "interestingly" (some might say strangely) conceived and decorated rooms around. It really reflects Ludwig's passion for and his personal vision of the Wagnerian ideal of Germanic mythology. In creating (well, paying for) the rooms and their furnishings, Ludwig bequeathed us some very fine late 19th Century craftsmanship.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Germany

Bavaria is Germany's largest state (Land) has many "authentic" experiences to offer. If you want Dirndls, Alps, Ludwigs (mad and otherwise) and Augustiner Beer (my favorite) then you can head south and call that a Bavarian experience.

There are other equally authentic Bavarian experiences.

Niederbayern (lower elevation Bavaria) seems to have been the heart of Bavaria before Munich was founded. Regensburg was both the capital of of Bavaria and an imperial capital. Freising was an early religious and trade center.

Franconia (Franken) has long been part of Bavaria. Nürnberg and Rothenburg were medieval trading and cultural centers, and major cities of their age. Bamberg is the burial place of a pope and a celibate emporer (and empress). Würzburg became a religious center sometime after a duchess chopped off St. Killian's head. These are all Kingdom (Dukedom) of Bavarian history and Bavarian experiences. There are many more.

I could suggest a "Free Franken" movement but I understand that the current leader of Bavaria is from Franconia. So, for the time being, these are all part of the Bavarian experience, which is not just Alps and Dirndls.

Regards, Gary

Edited: 2:38 pm, August 06, 2010