We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Hello All,

Would sincerely appreciate any/all advise and suggestions:

In early July we are planning to stay in munich for a weekend (and do a day trip to Fussen/castle), thereafter we plan to drive north to Wurzburg. We have only 2 days/1 night to go from Munich to Rothenberg, which town would you suggest we stay the night and any specific hotel recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

If you would like to stay in a castle from the 1200s where they also serve medieval meals, have a look at Katzenstein Castle ( www.burgkatzenstein.de ) which is fairly close to Noerdlingen of the Romantic Road.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Thanks for the great suggestion, would you say this is appropriate for a 30 something couple - looking for a nice quiet place an good hospitality? thanks again

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Yes, it certainly should be quiet. Visit the lovely monastery church at Neresheim which is a few kilometers to the north. A drive around the Thurn and Taxis palace above and to the east of nextdoor Dischingen is nice, and the old Roman road is close by to the castle to the north beyond the village there for some other things nearby. If it's Sunday morning, there will be people playing Alp-horns on the hill above Dischingen, where my sister-in-law lives.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Any ideas for Rothenberg or surrounding areas? Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Hi TravellerNYC1. My husband and I stayed in Rothenburg ob der Tauber the weekend just gone. It's a gorgeous town and well worth an overnight stop. I loved the hotel we stayed in, Historik Hotel Gotisches Haus garni. It's located in a beautifully renovated old building, right in the centre of town. The rooms are charming and the bathroom was huge (with a really large bath). Our room faced the street, but with the window closed it was very quiet. Friendly staff and a great looking restaurant downstairs (although we only ate there for breakfast, it seemed very popular at dinner time). I'm just off to write a review now!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Bad Windsheim, a small spa with several nice hotels, about 25km N/E of Rothenburg. I liked the Hotel am Kurpark.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Definitely spend at least one night in a hotel inside the walls of Rothenburg. We stayed there this week and was my favorite part of the trip which included Paris and Garmisch Partenkirchen. I love Rothenburg and can't wait to go back. It's beautiful at night and early morning. There are several hotels there that look very nice.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

Rothenberg is a small village in the Odenwald hills with plenty of hiking trails in the forest. Good for a quiet relaxing holiday. There is also a village church and a village pub and some technical monuments, water mills and such. That's about it. Are you sure you want to go there?

I am just answering to what you asked about. In case it is Rothenburg ob der Tauber you want to visit, make sure to enter the correct name into your GPS or you will end up in the wrong place.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

I didn't realize these were 2 different places. I meant Rothenburg ob der Tauber as the place to stay.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay Munich to Rothenburg

I thought so, but could not resist;-)