We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip to Rothenburg in Early February

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
My Trip to Rothenburg in Early February

My husband and I have been back from our trip to Rothenburg. We stayed at Hotel-Garni Hornburg, which was a wonderful hotel. It was very cold throughout our stay, but we experienced different weather conditions (eg. it snowed for one day; the other day was foggy; and there was sunlight in another day).

There were very few tourists in Rothenburg at this time of the year. We could thoroughly enjoy our walk in the town and the wall without meeting tourist crowds. We spent as much time as we liked in the castle garden and the wall taking photos. We joined the Night Watchman’s tour and found the experience very interesting. Amongst the restaurants which we tried, we particularly enjoyed the Italian food of Pizzeria Roma and we dined there several times. Certainly, we tried the famous Schneeballen.

All in all, our trip to Rothenburg is a memorable experience and we consider that this is one of our best trips.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip to Rothenburg in Early February

Hi Christie87,

Thanks for writing! Rothenburg is one of our favorite places in Germany. We also took the Nightwatchmans tour and enjoyed it. Glad you to hear you enjoyed your stay there.

Paul

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip to Rothenburg in Early February

We also tried the Schneeballen and thought they were disgusting. In fact, we were convinced that we must have gotten them from a bad bakery, so, foolishly, we tried them again from another bakery--gag! Just a big glob of dough very prettily decorated. Rothenburg itself is very worthy as a photo stop as they keep all the buildings very nicely maintained.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Trip to Rothenburg in Early February

As to Schneeballen, the original ones with powdered sugar aren't that great at first taste, after all they are just deep fried pastry strips formed in a ball covered with powdered sugar. But having nothing else in the car as we were driving away, we started nibbling at them. They soon became addictive! It's probably nothing that I would order again, but something local to give a try, and perhaps not give up on so early.

4. Re: My Trip to Rothenburg in Early February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 26, 2010