We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Maps

Las Vegas, NV
2 posts
Save Topic
Road Maps

We're planning to pick up a car with English-speaking GPS in Munich and to drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber for one night, then on to Heidelburg where we will turn the car in. The rental has been arranged by our travel agent. I would feel more comfortable with a real paper map in my hands, if only to confirm what the GPS is telling us to do. I have been led astray by the GPS in my car with disastrous results. Other than printing out pages of maps online and taping them together to make a map large enough to be readable without a magnifying glass, is there a source for real road maps (I don't belong to AAA) covering the area in question?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Maps

There are some decent road maps available at Borders and Barnes and Noble. My preference is, however, the Shell, ADAC (German Automobioile Club) and Michelin maps available at the book stores in the Munich airport. Especially since you will be needing a map for only a relatively small section of Germany ( south of the Main River) the sectional maps available in Gemany are much more informative. Would you believe it, but in my numerous trips to Germany etc., I have yet to use a GPS. I find the maps perfectly satisfactory and much less dirtracting than a GPS that lands me where I don't want to go. But, perhaps, that's because I grew up on maps. Besides, road signage in Germany is excellent.

Las Vegas, NV
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Maps

Thank you so much. I'm certain I'll be able to find what I need at the airport. I appreciate your prompt response.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Maps

If you don't really need the detail, maps such as the Shell one of the southern half of Germany should suffice. If you want to see the multitude of interesting places along your route, get large scale maps at 1:150,000 scale. The best were the discontinued Shell regional map series, but some others were also fairly detailed. On those old Shell maps you knew exactly where you were as every highwy curve was shown as well as details of that junction ahead was an overpass or underpass and the connecting routes between the roads. Also, ALL rural roads were shown. If you don't go into Munich itself which would require a detailed city map, you should be fine with those other maps and your GPs, which like Treplow although living in Germany, we've never used in there.

Traffic signs are usually good, but on our latest trip into southern Bavaria, in a few places were wrong which could easily be told from a large scale map, like taking you four times the distance than was necessary as an earlier turn would have shortened the route.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Maps

I always take the Michelin Bavaria/ Badem W maps with me for this journey. quite small scale but it has enough detail to find your eway perfectly well. I have used GPS with success but to no advantage

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Maps

One thing that no one ever mentions is detours. They can be quite frequent, as I now call the German state of Thüringen the "Land of the Detour" after a one week vacation there last summer. There, and elsewhere, after initially forcing you to detour and follow their signs, some of the later signs can be missing, never telling you how to get back on the road to your destination as you blythely drive along getting further and further away from your destination. I think both road maps and GPS may be inadequate in this situation. What has always irritated me that there is never a clear statement of where the road is actually blocked. With my more-detailed maps, if I knew that, I could perhaps pick a better route for our purposes as perhaps we're not going to the town that the detour is posted for, just using the road towards it.

Also, the road signs may be completely wrong for the direction you are traveling. On that same trip in Bamberg, we could not turn to the south or east leaving the parking lot in town because of a detour by the parking lot. The "All Directions" signs were completely wrong, leading you further to the north (the direction we were forced to go), and not to the south, the direction we wanted to go. So a lot of unnecessary driving before I said the hell with it and directed us back the way I thought we should be going, which was correct. So if you are heading the wrong way away from the center of town, you could have problems which I'm sure that the GPS or an adequate map would do a better job than the sometimes horrible direction signs.

Another peeve about signs, there may be more than one way to go somewhere, and if you are not aware of it, you may be directed unto the wrong road for your purposes. Another good reason to have adequate road information.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Maps

We like Michelin maps very much--though maps are highly personal preferances. We bought ours online before our trip so we could get some idea of routes (we like to get off the main roads, taking smaller roads through less touristed areas to our destinations when time permits).

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Maps

You might well find a map in the hire car. Sixt cars usually have a small road atlas that is quite adequate to check where the GPS is directing you. Or stop at the first petrol station you see and buy a road map there.

8. Re: Road Maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 26, 2010