We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets

Which Rothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericksburg, Va
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Markets

My wife and I will be traveling to Rothenburg the first week of December for two days to experince the Christmas market there.

We've been to Heidelberg twice and are trying a new destination this trip. Anyone have insights\advice on visiting during this time?

Thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets

I'm going to same time. What hotel did you book?

xxxxxx
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets

I am also traveling there the first week in december. Are you traveling by train?

are you visiting any other markets?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Markets

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is lovely at Christmas time, too. There will be a life sized manger scene in the covered walkway that you must see as well as Katht Wolfarht's. We have stayed at the Hotel Reichs-Kuechenmeister Kirchplatz 8

91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Telephone: 011 49 (0)9861 97 00 http://www.reichskuechenmeister.rothenburg.deemail: hotel@reichskuechenmeister.de and it was very nice. They have suites as well as rooms and there is parking for a fee. You'll be just off the town square and next to a lovely Lutheran church, St Jacob. Go inside for music and a hand carved tryptich by Riemenschneider.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Markets

I recommend Rick Steves' Germany 2005 book; he has a detailed section on Rothenburg. We'll be there the 2nd week in December, staying 2 nights and then driving down the Romantische Strasse to Austria. Look on Fodor's website also, there's some decent advice there sometimes. Have a wonderful trip; it's a great time of year to visit Germany!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Markets

Two days in Rothenburg seems a little excessive to me, but it is a lovely town. Make sure to go to the river below for a lovely view upwards of the town.

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Markets

Try visiting Nuremberg -- one of the most acclaimed Christmas markets and biggest. Check out their websites. Dinklelsbuhl is similar to Rothenburg but more authentic -- was not bombed in the war. Another suggestion would have to be Michelstadt, if you are coming for the Christmas markets, few foreign tourists know about this one, Picturesque old town with a beautiful market, with woodcarving and other crafts on show. My favourite of the festive season.

philadelphia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Markets

WE are planning an absolutley very late christmas like tour to Germany. We found a tour that 11 days...it seems to cover a great deal of territory...though we are not sure and have to finalize Mon. Tour goes to Rothenburg, Nuremburg, Munich, Leipzig, Dresden, Annaberg and Schneeburg, Salzburg. Can we enjoy market towns even with just a day..or half day visit. Any tips? Hints? We are not carazy about beoing in a tour group..but we had a death in our family and could not keep up with all the travel plans..any hints would be welcomed . We are first time christmas travelers to Germany.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Markets

It sounds awfully rushed, you know? The markets are usually nice, but you need more than half a day per town to appreciate not only the market stalls but also the city around them (and the ones you mentioned have more than enough to be appreciated). While you can walk through small towns like Schneeberg in less than half a day, bigger cities - like Salzburg, Nürnberg - would require at least full day for a glance and at least two days if you want to be serious. Besides you will be so tired after long bus journeys that you won't remember anything besides the insides of a tour bus. Take it easier - maybe the tour organiser can book a couple of hotels for you and you organise your transportation either by train or rental car.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Markets

Rosemoon,

I would find visiting only Christmas Markets for continuous days to begin to get boring. Intersperse your Christmas Market visits with seeing other sights. I live in Stuttgart which has probably Europe's largest Christmas Market and certainly one of the oldest and prettiest.

I personally would just drive around on your own and not do a tour. I think an enjoyable trip might begin in Stuttgart (fly in)seeing the Christmas Market there, some local sights with visits to world heritage Maulbronn monastery, the college town of Tuebingen with nearby Bebenhausen monastery, the very picturesque castles of Hohenzollern and Lichtenstein, and an S-bahn visit to Ludwigsburg for the largest perfectly preserved Baroque palace in Germany. An S-bahn journey to Esslingen for the nice old town would also be nice. Most of these places will also have their own Christmas Markets, some in delightful settings. The Black Forest also begins just a short distance outside of Stuttgart.

A drive through Schwaebisch Hall on the way to Rothenburg would then be nice. Then go to Fuessen to see Neuschwanstein Castle and through the German Alps to Salzburg, Austria. Finish up in Munich and fly home. This way you will see some of the best sights in Germany and also some excellent Christmas Markets.

I'm sure that you would have an enjoyable excellent trip.

philadelphia
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Markets

thank you for the hints. We have finally arrived and booked a trip to include...Rothen borg, Augsborg, Stuttgart, Munich. Nurmergerg ...along the Romatice road..then Ulm to Heidelberg, black forest...to Strasbourg, France. We want a very christams like tour. This is our first trip to the area. We are both musicians..lovers of folk lore. i work with theater, storytelling , puppetry and teach etc.and we would love to experience these types of authentic events etc. Also, would anyone have any hints as to christmas markets showcasing more tradtional crafts, christmas decorations and gifts..I was a little alarmed by some negative comments i have spotted on some of the christmas markets and fairs. Any ideas are welcomed!!!

A BIG Thanks!