We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days to tour

maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
Three days to tour

We are visiting Frankfurt for a conference and have 3 days to see the sites before work begins. Would like to take day trips along Romantic Road via train. Can you suggest an itinerary? Would it be better to plan to spend a night in Rothenburg?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days to tour

The Romantic Road stretches roughly from Würzburg (Wuerzburg) to Füssen (Fuessen). It can be covered in 3 days but it would be too much of a rush for me. I would concenrate on one end or the other. Trains:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

I would spend two nights in Würzburg and one in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Both of these towns are very enjoyable to stroll in the evening. Würzburg has a fortress with two good museums, an archbishop's Residenz decorated in the Rococo fashion and a university to support a life outside tourism. Würzburg is also a center for Franconian wines. Rothenburg, though touristy, is a pleasant visit for me. It is an almost unique walled city that has largely survived changes and wars over the years (30% damage in WWII).

The other good possibility in my mind is at the opposite end of the RR, Füssen. There are of course the royal castles: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Füssen is an attractive small town. The area is quite beautiful with mountains and alpine lakes. I have spent 3 days in the area a few times; it was weekend getaway when we were assigned to Nürnberg.

Google the locations and see what appeals. Wikipedia often does a good job giving historical context and major sights.

To my mind you can not lose with either of these choices or many others in the area of the "Romantic Road". BTW there is nothing romantic about the road.

Regards, Gary

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,832 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days to tour

Agree with Trikist.

Rothenburg is worth a night (or two). It goes quiet in the evenings, and you can do the great Nightwatchman walk. Also surprisingly good places to eat reasonably cheaply.

As one who does not rate Wuerzburg, I'd swap 2 in W for 2 in R, but either is worthwhile.

In R, I'd suggest you stay inside the walls to get the best atmosphere. There are great hotels there at all rates. My preferred are Spitzweg (where I'm going next week) and Goldener Greifen.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days to tour

We have also stayed in the Goldener Greifen. Good meals and breakfasts to our tastes. Nice atmosphere.

http://www.gasthof-greifen-rothenburg.de/

Regards, Gary

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days to tour

Was in Rothenburg in July. The Gasthof Goldener Greifen has a great location right off the main square. The included breakfast was great.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the train station (if you don't have too much luggage). We did take a taxi back to the train station since it was raining when we left. The cost was EUR10 for all five us and our luggage.

The Nightwatchman tour is very informative and very entertaining.

maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days to tour

Thank you, Gary. This is very helpful. The key thing we do not want to do is to rush, since my husband attends the Frankfurt Book Fair every year, so undoubtedly we will have the oppty to go again.

And by the way, since you obviously are knowlegeable, my husband always stays at the Lindner Congress Hotel in Hochst, which he says is the oldest extant part of the larger Frankfurt area, and he absolutely raves about the area around the "Hochst Schloss" and the schlossplatz juxtabposed to the castle. Yet, the strange thing, he says, is that he never sees it listed in the Germany/Frankfurt guidebooks -- any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Kay.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days to tour

Kay,

I am not familiar with the "Lindner Congress Hotel" but we often stay in hotels that we did not find in any tourist guides. Places popular with English speaking tourists (like Rothenburg) will have many hotel listings in English guides. Places less often visited by us will hardly have any hotel listing, though those places are in the majority by far. When we take vacation in Germany, we like to mix some favorite tourist haunts with some places less often visited by Americans. It sounds as though that is what you are doing with the Linder Congress Hotel.

It is all good.

Gary

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days to tour

Rereading your last question, perhaps it is about Höchst (Frankfurt am Main):

http://www.frankfurt-hoechst.de/

The same thing applies. There are more places worth while to visit in Germany than you could stuff in several tour books. (And, there are more knowledgeable people than me here to talk about them.) We lived there for 6 years and never quit stumbling on interesting places to visit, most of which were not addressed in any English tourist book.

Do a search in Yahoo (Google, ...) on "frankfurt hoehst" and you will come up with a pretty good wikipedia description in English.

Regards, Gary

8. Re: Three days to tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 05, 2010