We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Bavaria Trip

Pine Island...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family Bavaria Trip

We are headed to Bavaria from March 27-April 6 and are looking for family friendly activities. We plan to fly into Munich and out of Frankfurt. We plan to stay in Fussen, Salzburg, Munich, and Cochem. Any ideas would be appreciated. The kids are 8, 11, and 15.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Bavaria Trip

Your locations dont work hugely well, I m afraid. Salzburg is east from Munich, Fuessen west, and Cochem well north beyond Bavaria. If you go by train, I might suggest using M as base and doing day trips to S and F, then moving to C.

But I suspect you ll drive.. However I d still suggest starting with a couple of days in M to get over jetlag. From S drive on alpenstrasse to F, which will take s day with stops. It wont be warm weather, so you may want to bear in mind indoor things where possible. Between S and F is Mittenwald, which allows cable car or chairlift.

Near S is Koenigssee a lake with excellent electric boat tours all year round

Edited: 3:55 am, November 21, 2013
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Bavaria Trip

A Bavaria Ticket means your entire family can travel anywhere within Bavaria for 30€ per day - short trips or long trips, you're covered as far south as Füssen and Salzburg, and nearly to Frankfurt in the north (which is only 20 miles from the Bavarian border.)

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

What sort of activities do you have in mind? Biking? Zoos? Open-air museums? I would suggest that you consider first which family-friendly activities you will pursue and the weather in places that offer those activities - and then determine your destinations. 11 days is a nice amount of time, but as ethelman 2 points out, your destinations are sort of all over the place.

The Alps tend to be weather-problematic at that time of year for outdoor activities - lots of wetness. I'd be tempted to focus on points from Munich north instead if you hope to get outdoors. In the Frankfurt area, March and April typically have the smallest rainfall totals of all the months.

So you might consider looking into the sorts of activities that appeal to you in just 2 areas - in and around Cochem, and in northern Bavaria (which is really close to Frankfurt) - Nuremberg, Bamberg, Würzburg, Rothenburg, and numerous other smaller towns are popular destinations in this area. If Munich is a definite, MUC and FRA should work well for you. You might even use just FRA if Munich isn't a must. 5-6 days in two areas would be nice - rent an apartment in each spot and head out on daytrips. Or include Munich and spend 3 days in Munich, 4 in No. Bavaria, 4 in Cochem.

Edited: 9:15 am, November 21, 2013
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Bavaria Trip

Check and see if any sommerrodelbahn are open that time of year. I know there are ones near Salzburg and Fussen

4. Re: Family Bavaria Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 23, 2014