We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
377 posts
471 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

We'll be leaving Munich at around 8 am in a rental car and staying that night and the next one in Fussen. The things we'd like to see are the Zugspitze, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof, Ettal Monastery, Oberammergau, and Wieskirche. I'm struggling with which places to stop at on our way to Fussen on the first day and which places to see in a driving loop on day 2.

In Oberammergau we just want to stroll around the town a bit and see some of the wood carving. Any suggestions on how to arrange these sights? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hohenschwangau
Hohenschwangau
Swabia, Germany
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

I've been to that area a couple of times and can maybe help with a few timings:

- I would budget half a day to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau

- Linderhof, depending on how much of the grounds you want to see, could easily take you three hours. Personally, my family and I did not care for the Venus Grotto (took about 30 minutes, not including the wait to get in)

- The Eibsee lies at the foot of the Zugspitze. If you want to hike it, budget at least an hour. Going to the top of the Zugspitze (which you should only do if the weather is clear, otherwise there's really no point as there's no view) can take a couple of hours, depending on how you get there.

Definitely reserve your Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau tickets online. This will allow you to get a specific tour time - I'd try for the first tour of the day (8 am). This means that you'd be better off waiting on the schlosses until the day after you arrive.

It's possible to "do" the two schlosses, Linderhof and the Eibsee all in one day, but I don't recommend it - too tiring, especially if you're not used to the altitude.

Mentioned in this post
Hohenschwangau
Hohenschwangau
Swabia, Germany
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

We arrived in Fussen mid afternoon, spent the rest of the day exploring this pretty town. Next day was spent at Hohenschwangau visiting the castles and museum, having lunch, exploring, then back to Fussen for the 2nd night. We spent 4 nights at Garmisch-Partenkirchen using that as a base for the Zugspitze (where we spent an entire day), Linderhof Castle and the Partnachklamm. It is a lovely place to stay anyway and would be good for Ettal and Oberammagau as well.

Mentioned in this post
Hohenschwangau
Hohenschwangau
Swabia, Germany
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

I agree, reserving your Neuschwanstein tickets on line is a great way to go. If you take an early tour, then you have the rest of the day free. Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau can be seen one after the other. They are really close together.

Mentioned in this post
Hohenschwangau
Hohenschwangau
Swabia, Germany
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
377 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

So perhaps this itinerary would be reasonable?

Leave Munich around 8 am, arrive Eibsee before 10 am. Take cable car up, spend some time, cable car back down. Depart Eibsee early afternoon, brief stop at Ettal Abbey, tour Linderhof Palace, then on to Fussen for the night.

Next day: early start to see Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau (will pre-reserve tickets), then drive to Wieskirche and Oberammagau and back to Fussen for the night.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

Sounds like a good plan. If you have some extra time on the first day, you might want to see Garmisch or the smaller nearby town of Mittenwald, both beautiful. On the second day be sure to see the sights in Fuessen itself.

6. Re: Best way to arrange time in Fussen/Garmisch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 07, 2014