We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

Berlin, Germany
6 posts
Save Topic
Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

Hello!

I was just curious what the best way to get to Füssen late would be. We don't really have much time to spare, we'd like to spend the night here on the night of Tuesday September 25th, see Neuwachstein and then head on to Salzburg by train.

My problem is, the train stops running after 11, and the next one is 5 and a half hours, and leaves at 1:24. My other idea was to take the train to Schongau, since it runs late. However, the bus to Füssen there is another 1.5 hours.

Just would like to see what other options are available, we might have to rent a car, but then we'd have to take it back to Munich!

Please let me know.

Best,

Thomas

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

"we'd have to take it back to Munich"

E.g. Hertz has offices in both Munich airport and Fuessen. So you could return the car in Fuessen, as well.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

Check first if your hotel, or wherever you are planning to stay, will let you check in at 2 or 3 a.m. at night - which is not too likely, as few small-town hotels have their reception open 24/7. You'll better spend the night in Munich near the airport and continue in the next morning.

Berlin, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

The problem is Oktoberfest is the week we are arriving in Munich, and we don't want to end up paying an astonomical amount for a hotel.

Is there anywhere between Füssen and Munich where we could spend the night? Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

TM--what is your entire itinerary. Depending on where you are going and for how long, it might be worth it to rent a car for your entire trip or at least for more than just driving from the airport to Fuessen.

Berlin, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

Well! I am silly.

So eventually we wanted to make our way to Salzburg. So turns out there is a late train from Munich to Salzburg that we should be able to make. Naturally there would be some more hotels that are open later there.

So we are going to catch that train, spend a couple days in Salzburg and then train over to Füssen before we head back to Munich for Oktoberfest for a couple of days. After that we fly to Bucharest!

Thanks your help guys, figured it out. :)

6. Re: Arriving in Munich after 11:00pm, is Füssen still reachable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 21, 2013