We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much/too little for Frankfurt-Munich drive?"

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Too much/too little for Frankfurt-Munich drive?"

Have two and half days, two nights on the road with auto ...

Leaving Frankfurt Sunday after lunch (earlier necessary?) and thought this might work for an itinerary for family with two teen-age boys:

-- Visit palace grounds in Wurzburg

-- Continue to Rothenburg o.d. Tauber in time to make 8 p.m. night watchman tour (check in to hotel somewhere nearby)

Monday: Rothenburg walk up on some walls, law/torture museum, a Christmas shop. Drive to Nuernberg

Tuesday: After visiting WWII parade grounds (and castle? or time for the castle the afternoon before?), drive to Munich via Regensburg (sounds like a cool place to see, even if not spending much time in).

Arrive Munich almost as late as we want since we have a hotel in a suburb for four nights.

Realistic? Could spend days in each of these places, of course, but not going to linger too long anywhere. Thanks

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much/too little for Frankfurt-Munich drive?"

It works ok but is rushed. Wuerzburg is pushed, so I'd leave Frankfurt in the morning to get there in time to lunch after te palace -but why the grounds?

Try for a hotel inside the walls in RodT, pref one with free parking. It will save time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much/too little for Frankfurt-Munich drive?"

I take it that your visit to the palace grounds at Würzburg is the Rococo garden of the palace just north in Veitshöchheim. But there's a lot more to see and do in and immediately around Würzburg. A tour of the interior of the Residenz, and visits to the fortress Marienberg and the vineyards at Altfränkischer Weinberg are some other excellent things to do. To see and do as much as possible, leave Frankfurt earlier.

As suggested by ethelman2, at Rothenburg stay in a hotel within the town walls where you can enjoy what you came to see.

Visiting places in Nuremberg and Regensburg in the same day seems quite rushed to me. The attractions in Regensburg are dispersed throughout the town, so you'll only be able to see a few of them. And a late arrival in Munich may not help you that much as some of those places in Regensburg have quite restrictive hours when they are open.

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much/too little for Frankfurt-Munich drive?"

Excellent points, Ethelman and Marco. Thanks. It's insights like these that can save time and money and keep a family together! Ha.

Yes, Marco: I think I misspoke about the palace grounds. I was thinking of simply dabbling with seeing a "major" sight to see in Wuerzburg and probably should have written the palace (or fortress -- trying to divine what's going to tickle teen-age boys' fancy ...).

I worked in Germany for a couple of college summers 25 years ago and am taking the family for a big vacation this year and I'm feeling the pressure as the guy who's been there and can speak the language to "get it right" so we all have a good time.

4. Re: Too much/too little for Frankfurt-Munich drive?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, June 15, 2013