We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

I would like to visit Neuschwanstein Castle during end of June with my wife and a two years old baby.

I would be grateful if you could tell me:

1. My wife has some problems walking on steep places (just don't like it) - if I take horse-drawn carriage will it be steep or flat? how difficult is it?

2. Is there any way to bypass all the lines for the horse-drawn carriage? reservation by advance? specific time and day?

3. Is there always the horse-drawn carriage or sometimes they are not operating?

4. If I take the horse-drawn carriage can we skipt the famous bridge (at least she wouldn't do it becuase of fear of heights).

5. Will I be able to enter with my baby to the castle?

We were in Linderhof castle last time and really enjoyed so I thought of doing one castle together with Fussen village. We are driving with a cal all the way from inssbruck. Just wondered becuase of the problem of strenous walkign and the fear of heights.

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

Different strokes for different folks, but Neuschwanstein's interior is one of my favorites. To me it is an interesting change from the typical medieval castle with the bare stone floors, dusty armor, and general gloomy interior. I do like the old castles, too, but Neuschwanstein provides quite a contrast.

Ludwig did pull out all the stops in creating his romantic, Wagnerian view of German mythology. I look at it as a giant installation artwork. Not to mention its part in Ludwig's historical significance in Bavarian history, and how it represents or attests to the "wretched excess" displayed by Europe's ruling families in the 18th and 19th centuries--the excesses that helped lead to the various revolutionary movements from the late 1700s to the early 1900s that eventually resulted in removing from power the great houses of Europe.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
857 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

We stayed at the Hotel Mueller which is between the two castles. They made reservations for us for the carriages which load up right at its front door. Good hotel and a great dining room for guests which is seperate from the noisy lunch room for the tourist trade.

My 75 yr old brother in law with bad knees was able to make the trek up to Marienbrucke, through the castle and the walk down.

Definitly take a ride up to Weiskirche. Nice drive and worh the visit.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

I am a fan of Neuschwanstein as well. I think it is a fabulous palace - the fantasy and workmanship is incredible. I definitely think it is worth a tour. I do wish the tour was longer, but it is a popular site with millions of visitors, so they have to balance tour length with the ability to get peopple through the castle.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
974 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

Totally disagree with the earlier comment Neuschwanstein is an excellent visit and worth the effort up the hill. The building itself is spectacualr from all angles. Mary's bridge is a must do there are great views and the inside is super and the tour well worth it. I am not sure why the fact that its not a "genuine" castle is important, whatever you call it it doesn't mater its agreat day out and whilst the other Ludwig locations also have something going for them ( we too love Herrenchiemsee) you shouldn't really miss Neuschwanstein and yes it s a tourist attraction and therefore has all the tourist trappings but so what, you're also a tourist and if you don't like that sort of thing just ignore it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

Well thanks, just because my wife can't walk in steep places I wonder if she could do the Neuschwanstein (if we take the horse carriage for example). I won't be able to help her because I'll carry the baby on hands.

Alternatively, I thought of going to tour in Hohenschwangau and then going with the bus up to Neuschwanstein which stops next to Mary's bridge in order to look Neuschwanstein from outside and make some photos. Also going to Fussen (before or after the castle).

But I'm definitely not sure if this is the best way to see the castles or I need to find a way to get to see Neuschwanstein interior.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

I think the real question is - can your wife climb steep stairs? If not, then she can't tour Neuschwanstein.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

Look in www.hohenschwangau.de for what it says about touring the palaces, such as the number of steps.

18. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - how steep is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, May 05, 2013