We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein

Which Fussen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein

Hi

I'll be visiting Neuschwanstein after my salzburg trip. Am wondering whether to stay in Fussen, Munich or somewhere near the castle. As I am a student travelling on tight budget, a hostel(cheapest possible accommodation) is most prefered. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

I'll have 2 nights in germany before flying back to london from munich, any suggestion where else I can go presuming a day is already dedicated for Neuschwanstein.

thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein

I personally would stay near the castle where you can enjoy the magnificent views of it. It is lit-up at night. I think that it should be slowly savored and not just dashed through. We usually stay at a fairly expensive hotel there with wonderful views, so I can't help you out with inexpensive accomodations.

If you're not travelling in the summer, you might like the well preserved walled town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber (both it and Neuschwanstein can be jam-packed with tourists), or perhaps Lindau on the Bodensee (Lake Constance).

Baden-Baden, Germany
Level Contributor
60 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein

For backpacker tours in Germany go to http://www.backpackertours.com they arrange tours to Neuschwanstein from Munich. You may also go to Füssen by train which is very close to Neuschwanstein. The Wieskirche is nearby as well as Linderhof castle. Many tours leave from Munich.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein

My daughter and I visited Neuschwanstein in November. We stayed at Haus L.A. in Fussen. It's a small hostel, very nice, economical too. The manager will even pick you up from the train station at night and then take you to the station in the morning, and you can catch the bus to the castles from the train station. Fussen itself is a nice town to visit as well.

Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein

Schwangau is very close to the castle and there are some inexpensive "pensionen" there. My grandparents lived in Fussen many years and it's also a very nice town to visit. Just take your time in the area, it is breathtaking! Also, make sure you take the cable car (Teglerbahn) to the top of Tegelberg. Stunning views!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neuschwanstein

Schwangau is an absolutely amazing tiny village. We stayed in a pension there, too, without booking in advance. We had a clear, beautiful view of Neuschwanstein castle from our balcony (which, by the way, was just covered with flowers in window boxes). I would strongly recommend staying there and traveling to Fussen. I believe the room was about 50 euros for a double with breakfast.