We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary Plan in Fussen and G-P

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary Plan in Fussen and G-P

Does anyone know if it would be possible to do the zugspite ascend in the morning near G-P and see the two castles in Fussen in the afternoon?

Thanks.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary Plan in Fussen and G-P

I do not know if it is possible to do so, but I would not advise it. It is a bit pricey to take the cable car to the top, but it is incredible! The last time I went (last October) I spent about 3 hours on the top of the Zugspitze. There is a fabulous biergarten with the best germknodel (a bread type desert with a hot vanilla sauce). Make sure that you have some extra clothing (esp gloves) to really enjoy the views.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary Plan in Fussen and G-P

Sorry, I should also add what I know about the castles by Fussen. When you purchase the ticket, you are given a "time" that your guided tour is given depending upon your language which is a least 30 to 45 minutes after you buy your ticket (I can't remember the exact time frame). Take in mind that there is a large hill for the smaller castle & there is even a grander hill to climb for Neuschwanstein (there is a horse & carriage ride, but the walk is half the fun). Also, when you are at the top of either of the castle grounds you will want to really take in the beauty of it all. The town of Schwangau is quite touristy, not as cute as Fussen.

chassell, michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary Plan in Fussen and G-P

We went to Zugspitzke last year (from Munich). After 2 cable cars it took about 2 hrs to get to the top. Also (in August) they were having a blizzard at the top and we couldn't see a thing!!! Weather is very unpredictable everywhere! We took the gondola car back to the bottom, but frankly with the train from Munich (abt 1 1/2 hrs), add trip to the top (about 2 hrs + 1/2 hr back down), I don't think it is something to plan on for a one day trip. Also in our case, Munich is another 2 hr trip to Fussen. It is great though, to see Hohenschwangau late in the afternoon and then Neuschwanstein first thing in the AM. Something to consider!

Wash DC
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary Plan in Fussen and G-P

Well anything is possible. Just depends on how much time you want to spend at Zugsptize. I was there last year, and I don't remember it taking 2 cable cars to get to the top.. or taking a terribly long time. Maybe if you hit Zugsptize first thing and then move onto the castles. It was an easy drive from G-P. If you buy advance tickets... you will know what time you can enter the castles. The whole area is just beautiful. We took a couple of different cable cars.. and hiked. It was terrific and no matter how you plan your day you will have a great time.