We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographing Neuschwanstein Castle

1 post
Save Topic
Photographing Neuschwanstein Castle

I have seen several photographs of the Castle looking down on it. Is there a mountain road or path that leads to above the castle? If I can not find such a spot for photographs, I will consider a hot air balloon ride instead. Thanks in advance. Victoria Campbell, London Ontario Canada montana@sympatico.ca

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photographing Neuschwanstein Castle

You can take a shuttle bus (or walk) up to just above the castle. From the bus drop off point, a short trail leads to the right to the Marianbruke. Most people stop here and take a picture of the castle, but if you want some pictures from above, cross the bridge and keep going. A trail takes you up the mountain opposite the castle and there are some great elevated views from different spots on the trail. Be advised that it is extremely slippery in winter.

There is also a chair/gondola lift at tjhe Tegelsberg, adjacent to the castle. I believe (but I'm not positive) that there is a trail from there heading back towards the castle. There is a LOT of paragliding done there so , who knows, maybe you can do a tandem flight while you take photos.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photographing Neuschwanstein Castle

I did not try the gondola. I hiked up to the top to take the pic. But somehow, there certain angles that you cannot get. I think to get the same pics that you see, I think you might have to do the hot air balloon for such pic. Good luck

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photographing Neuschwanstein Castle

If you are driving a car to Neuschwanstein, you may consider also taking a picture from a few miles to the North. It's amazing to see the castle nestled on the foothills of the mountain. We snapped a few pictures from out our sunroof (in retrospect, we should have stopped) when the road crested a hill fantastic distant view.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Photographing Neuschwanstein Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, August 17, 2009