We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

Which Dinkelsbuhl hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

What is the best way to go from rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl ( on a Sunday) without a car. I was informed that there is no train station in Dinkelsbuhl. What would be the closest town with a train station and then probably take the bus. I tried to find this info at the Bahn page but dont know the name of the closest town with a train station. Is there a bus service available from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl that will make the trip shorter?

Also, what is the best way to go from Dinkelsbuhl to Nordlingen and then Munich? we are excited looking at all this amazing medieval towns and would love to be able to see some of them, but dont know if a car is needed to do this.

Thank you very much!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

There is indeed a train station. Put in "Dinkelsbühl Bahnhof" and check out your options.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

> I was informed that there is no train station in Dinkelsbuhl.

There is a train station. Albeit there are no regular trains serving this station anymore.

> I tried to find this info at the Bahn page but dont know the name of the closest town with a train station.

DB timetable does also know about buses. Problem is that there are no direct buses between these places. They are all connected via the next bigger towns (Ansbach, Donauwörth) and this means rather big detours.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Dinkelsbuehl Bahnhof

To: Noerdlingen Bahnhof

To: Munich Hbf

Bad news: nearly impossible on one day if using public transport and if you want to explore these places even just a little bit

Good news: you can do the whole trip on a Bayern Ticket (EUR 28,00 for 2-5 persons traveling together).

By car:

Rothenburg - Dinkelsbühl ~ 40 min

Dinkelsbühl - Nördlingen ~ 35 min

Nördlingen - Munich ~ 1:40

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

thanks Abalada for your info. We are planning to stay 1 night in each town. I found a bus at www.touring-travel.eu that seem to travel the Romantic Road from north to south and viceversa. I hope that works and in Noerdlingen we could take the train to Munich Central Station I hope.

Thanks for the Bayern Ticket info, that will become very convenient too.

I had no idea about those tickets!

Thanks again! =)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

I know you said without a car, but it is the easiest way to get to many destinations in this part of Germany, especially smaller towns. Is there a particular reason you can't drive?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

"We are planning to stay 1 night in each town."

Just in case you didn't know...all three towns are very similar to each other, so expect a bit of redundancy.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

Thanks for your advice! right on target.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

To: RufusTFirefly: We were told that taking the train/bus is cheaper than renting a car + gasoline. that's the only reason we have for not doing it.

To; BavariaJG: "Just in case you didn't know...all three towns are very similar to each other, so expect a bit of redundancy".

we consider that too! probably we'll stay in Rothenburg & Dinkelsbuhl only (one night each) and go straight to Munich.

Thanks guys for all your advice! =)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

I know just about nothing in these areas, so please feel free to suggest anything to visit!

What about a stop in Augsburg before we get to Munich?

Thanks again for all your help! =)

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

Augsburg is meh. How about going from Rothenburg straight to Fuessen, a night there, and then to Munich? That way you get to see the castles...

Jodoigne, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Rothenburg to Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen

This probably comes too late for your planning, but it might be helpful to other travellers. Rothenburg - Dinkelsbuhl - Nordlingen by bus is possible, but requires quite some planning, I did it this week, the other way round.

Dinkelsbuhl-Nordlingen is fairly easy. Some 7-8 buses a day, though mainly concentrated around commuting times (so buses early in the morning, and at the end of the day, and only a few in the middle of the day.)

Rothenburg - Dinkelsbuhl is more complicated. On weekdays, there are 1 or 2 direct buses, but this is some kind of schoolbus, so the first one goes extremely early. The other one at the end of the day (but please check this, because I travelled the other way round). It is more likely you will have to change in between. There are several options. The fastest is to change in Dombühl, but that only works when the you get your connection. If not, you are really stuck in the middle of nowhere, for hours. So I don't recommend this.

Another option is to get a bus to Feuchtwangen, and change there to Dinkelsbuhl. In case you have to wait an hour for a connection, Feuchtwangen has a nice market square and church to visit. There are relatively frequent buses between Feuchtwangen and Dinkelsbuhl, but fewer between Rothenburg and Feuchtwangen.

Finally, you can also take a train from Rothenburg to Ansbach, and then travel onward to Dinkelsbuhl by bus. Ansbach is a larger place, so there are more buses. Not a very fast option though, with two changes, I recommend the route via Feuchtwangen.

On a sunday in summer, you might want to check whether the historic train is running (this is the only train stopping at dinkelsbuhl station). But don't count on it.

Nördlingen to Munich is easy, because Nördlingen has a railwaystation. I recommend a stop in Harburg, to visit the castle.

Edited: 7:13 pm, July 21, 2010