We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayern Ticket Query

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Bayern Ticket Query

My wife and i will be visiting Munich in April 2012, and have booked a tour of the BMW plant at Regensburg.

I see i can travel to Bergweinting station on a Bayern Ticket for Euro 29 for both of us.

A few queries :-

1. Is the ticket i purchase fixed to the trains i choose when booking the Ticket online. If the tour takes longer or shorter than i expect, can i get a Eatlier/later train than shown on my ticket.

2. Would the bus i catch in Regensburg to the plant be included in the ticket or cost extra ?

3. If i wanted to visit Regendburg, can i get off at the main station and then commence to Bergweinting station later ?

Finally if i want to experience the ICE train, can i pay extra for the section i travel on ?

Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

>1. Is the ticket i purchase fixed to the trains i choose when booking the Ticket online. If the tour takes longer or shorter than i expect, can i get a Eatlier/later train than shown on my ticket.

Bayern Ticket is a day pass. You can simply take any local trains and busses anywhere in Bayern for as often as you like without any notice. Within the validity period of course.

2. Would the bus i catch in Regensburg to the plant be included in the ticket or cost extra ?

Unless it is some kind of charter bus, yes, it should be.

3. If i wanted to visit Regendburg, can i get off at the main station and then commence to Bergweinting station later ?

Of course.

>Finally if i want to experience the ICE train, can i pay extra for the section i travel on ?

No, you need a normal ticket, separately. Bayern Ticket is not valid at all in the ICE or other long distance trains, you cannot just "pay the difference".

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

> Is the ticket i purchase fixed to the trains i choose when booking the Ticket online.

No. Bayern Ticket is a day ticket. Valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day

If you buy it online, only the date you buy it for plays a role. The connection not at all. You can even buy it for Augsburg - Nuremberg and use it for Munich - Regensburg. It's just that the DB timetable works connection based, you need a connection where the Bayern Ticket is an option that it will be shown at all. And thus that you can buy it at all online.

It makes however not much sense to buy it online. The ticket comes with no change, no refund. And you can buy it for the same price on spot from ticket machines.

Yes.

3. There are direct buses (line #79) from Regensburg Hbf to the BMW plant. While Burgweinting and Obertraubling are the closest train stations to the plant, it's still 2,5 km from either station to the plant (Tor 2 - gate 2).

> Finally if i want to experience the ICE train, can i pay extra for the section i travel on ?

There are no direct ICE trains from Munich to Regensburg.

If you want to experience ICE trains the best option would be a trip to Nuremberg. As the part Ingolstadt - Nuremberg is the only new built highspeed railway in the area which allows speeds of 300 kph.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg%E2%80%93Munich…

If you buy in advance you can get Munich to Nuremberg one-way for EUR 29 (for 2 persons together). You can buy at earliest 92 days in advance.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

Hi all Thank you so much for the info, it really helps a first tome visitor to Munich

Abalada,

I will see if i have time to include the leg to Nuremburg, as i have to plan around my tour of BMW in Regensburg.

Have you any idea of what speed the ICE train will get to on the Munich/Ingolstadt run, given good conditions,

Also any idea of what ICE train it may be ie ICE 2 ?.

Just for info i managed to book my train trip from Verona to Munich with DB Bahn without and problems at all, I had my ticket within minutes of booking

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg%E2%80%93Munich…

"The southern section, between Ingolstadt and Munich, is 19th-century track. Its southern section has been upgraded for up to 200 km/h (124 mph)."

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

Abalada,

Hi, Regrettably BMW in Ragensburg have cancelled all factory tours, due to a special project, on the days around by tour of the plant. I cant change due to my time in Munich.

I still want to go on the ice train, and can actually get onto a tour of the Audi plant in Ingolstadt. I can book a trip to Nurenburg, back to ingolstad, visit Audi and the town , and return to Munic for Euro 68, for my wife and i.all on ICE trains

As usual, can you assist with queries,

Is the train from Ingolstad to Munich train specific, or can, i catch a earlier or later train ?

Can you help with bus details, to get from Ingolstadt main station to the Audi plant.

Would the bus costs be included in the train fare ?

Thanks as usual

Edited: 11:51 am, January 27, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

> Is the train from Ingolstad to Munich train specific, or can, i catch a earlier or later train ?

The prices you quoted are discounted specials - train specific as long not for regional trains.

You have 2 options:

a) you travel from Nuremberg back to Munich via Ingolstadt on regional trains on a Bayern Ticket. There are fast regional trains (up to 200 kph) on this route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6x7KKxLnoc

Bayern Ticket covers also the buses in Ingolstadt.

b) you buy a ticket from Nuremberg to Munich with a regional train stopover past Ingolstadt. Than you can get a ticket ICE Nuremberg to Ingolstadt, regional train Ingolstadt to Munich. Now while the discounted specials are train specific for the ICE trains, they are flexible if it comes to regional trains. Thus with such a ticket you can travel on any regional train from Ingolstadt to Munich on this day. The buses in Ingolstadt are however not covered.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: N

Destination: M

and add as stopover

Via: Rohrbach(Ilm)

> to get from Ingolstadt main station to the Audi plant.

Where do the guided tours start? Ingolstadt has a number of Audi bus stops. Most likely at the Audi Forum

Destination: Audi - Forum, Ingolstadt

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

The tour is at 11:30 on 23/4/2012, meeting at the Audi Forum.

They suggest i get there by 11:15.

Any idea of how long a bus would take ?

I believe i use a number 11 or 14 Bus from the station?

Edited: 1:36 pm, January 27, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,670 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Ingolstadt Hbf

Destination: Audi - Forum, Ingolstadt

9. Re: Bayern Ticket Query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, February 16, 2013